Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 09-10-16, 05:12

Gday List
All these Johns, they must have had no imagination.

The John born in Puttenham Hertfordshire,i thought maybe the father of John who married Martha Barber, this John was the Baliff

The John you mentioned as being Baptised in Tring in 1769 I havn,t come across.

Bert
Old 09-10-16, 07:27
Administrator

If you mean the John who was baptised in Puttenham in 1769, I don't see how he can be the father of the man who married Martha Barber in 1792 as he would only have been approx. 23 years of age at the marriage.

I thought you were saying the 1769 man later married Martha Barber himself. I thought that seemed unlikely as the Puttenham man doesn't seem to have had children, so maybe the man from Tring bap 1769 is the one who married Martha Barber?

I have not found any record of either of them being called a bailiff in their lifetimes. The Puttenham John died in 1818 and his will says he was a dairyman (he left his estate to his siblings). The John bap in Tring in 1769 may have died in 1811 (no age at death on his burial) and was then recorded as a grazier:

Quote:
Abstract of Administration of John Seabrook, Grazier of Betlow in the parish of Tring, Hertfordshire. Proved in the Court of Huntingdon.

Date: September 13 1811

Held by: The National Archives, Kew

Legal status: Public Record(s)

Closure status: Open Document, Open Description

Ref: IR 26/371/273
You could purchase this doc online and receive a downloadable copy of it for £3.50 from the National Archives. If you are lucky and the administration is for Martha's husband then there's a good chance she is mentioned as she didn't die for another three years. Here is a link to the entry on TNA website:

http://discovery.nationalarchives.go...ils/r/D7187929

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 09-10-16, 09:51
Administrator

There are several public trees on ancestry which have the John Seabrook who died in 1811 as being born in 1740 and marrying a Jane Howes in 1767 at Puttenham. One of them has his wife as Elizabeth Harding. It would be worth checking through the info in those before paying for that admon.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 09-10-16, 10:27
Administrator

That's interesting, as if the 1811 death belongs to the man who married Jane Howes, he would then be the father of John b Puttenham 1769 and died 1818 without issue.(apparently without issue, that is). I agree it might be worth investigating further if that's not the right line.

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 12-10-16, 05:12

I think I am on the wrong tram with this one.
Bert
Old 09-12-16, 02:05

Gday List,
How can I find out where Hannah Hazell was born,
I think it must have been abt 1796 as that would make her 20 when she married John Seabrook.

Bert
Old 09-12-16, 06:02
Administrator

There's nothing on the marriage entry to suggest she was a minor (ie under 21) but she could have been, or might have been several or more years older - we have no other info to help us such as an age et burial etc. At the marriage they have a serial witness, Benjamin Crooks, and another called Rebecca Richardson, but I've not fond a connection between her and John or Hannah at the moment.

Old 09-12-16, 08:28
Administrator

We found a possible baptism for Hannah in May 1782 at St Faith and St Paul (post #33 on this thread) although we couldn't make out the parents' names (Phoenix thought possibly Richard and Elizabeth). But that one is probably too early.

Old 09-12-16, 08:43
Administrator

I'd forgotten about that one.

There are other Ha?el* entries in the same parish that might throw up some clues but I'm just off out now.

Old 09-12-16, 08:44
Administrator

I've just been looking at those but got nowhere so far. Oops, sorry, I meant the entries in the same parish as the Seabrook / Hazell marriage. Will look at St Faith under St Paul now...