Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > DNA Questions

Old 03-06-19, 13:36

Thanks, yes, but Ancestry isn't as accessible as FMP for library work

Sorry, I assumed that most libraries provided free access to Ancestry like our's in Lincolnshire do. We can't get FMP though!
Old 03-06-19, 13:44
Administrator

Quote:
Yes, Arthur Kemp, 1867-1944, I found what may or may not be his service record last night - dates do not tally:
If you are referring to serving during WW1, if he had any children born during 1914-1918 his service number may be on their birth certificate. If his army documents are within the surviving ones on Ancestry then his wife and any children born should be indexed by Ancestry.

Perhaps you meant before his marriage though? (given his age). How do you know he served? Does it show up for one of his census records?

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 03-06-19, 13:53

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann from Sussex View Post
Thanks, yes, but Ancestry isn't as accessible as FMP for library work

Sorry, I assumed that most libraries provided free access to Ancestry like our's in Lincolnshire do. We can't get FMP though!
Can get into Ancestry from the public library but it won't show me census transcriptions. FMP will - only at the library, and also census images. I can also find images of marriage lists when they exist, but no certificates of course. These lists remind me of the ones once held in those huge bound volumes formerly held by the Public Records Office, with names, numbers & letters to match with spouses in corresponding volumes.
Old 03-06-19, 14:06

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry View Post
If you are referring to serving during WW1, if he had any children born during 1914-1918 his service number may be on their birth certificate. If his army documents are within the surviving ones on Ancestry then his wife and any children born should be indexed by Ancestry.

Perhaps you meant before his marriage though? (given his age). How do you know he served? Does it show up for one of his census records?

Was told my grandfather served in the (second?) Boer War & was economical about his age to get in the army. He was too old to enlist for the First World War, he managed to get into the Home Guard during WW2 but was turned away when they spotted his medals, so he was too old for that as well. Poor soul had died of natural causes by 1944, so it may be fortunate he was not allowed access to weaponry at this advanced stage of his life, I understand his eye-sight was challenging at this time also.

Yes, he was in the army. When my father was on leave (WW2 RAF electrician) he popped in on his father in Bromley, who was ill in bed at this stage, & listened to my grandfather describing the marching past of his regiment from memory, as in a parade. I'd love to know what regiment this was?
Old 03-06-19, 14:36
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kr236rk View Post
Can get into Ancestry from the public library but it won't show me census transcriptions. FMP will - only at the library, and also census images. I can also find images of marriage lists when they exist, but no certificates of course. These lists remind me of the ones once held in those huge bound volumes formerly held by the Public Records Office, with names, numbers & letters to match with spouses in corresponding volumes.
Yes, those are the same lists but computerised.

As for ancestry, it sounds as though you aren't using the Ancestry Library Edition, though of course I don't know whether your local library provides that. If they don't, is there a FamilySearch Centre near you? They provide access to both Ancestry and FMP, though you will probably need to book a visit in advance.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 03-06-19, 17:37
Administrator

With regard to Arthur Kemp b April 1867 - Had you noticed there are two Arthur Kemps registered in Kensington District in 1867. One of these two seems to have married Martha Alice Fox in 1891 (they are together in 1901 and 1911), and gives his place of birth as Hammersmith, and the other married your Louisa Mary Innell and gives his place of birth as Hammersmith in 1911.

This one should be yours:

KEMP, ARTHUR
BULLOCK
GRO Reference: 1867 J Quarter in KENSINGTON Volume 01A Page 107

and this one is hopefully the other man!

KEMP, ARTHUR
HOBBS
GRO Reference: 1867 D Quarter in KENSINGTON Volume 01A Page 153

I don't have time to go any further with this now, but I just wanted to check you were aware of the potential to go wrong. Hopefully you have the marriage certificate for your Arthur and also hopefully the two Arthurs don't both have a father with the same forename!!

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 03-06-19, 17:39
Administrator

You can look for A Kemp here:

http://members.pcug.org.au/~croe/sotq/sotq_abw.cgi

I note he wasn't at home with his first wife, Margaret Humphrey, in 1901 which is how it should be if he was serving in SA.

Old 03-06-19, 19:52

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiterunner View Post

As for ancestry, it sounds as though you aren't using the Ancestry Library Edition, though of course I don't know whether your local library provides that. If they don't, is there a Family Search Centre near you? They provide access to both Ancestry and FMP, though you will probably need to book a visit in advance.
Thanks, I live in Dorset UK on the border of Hampshire, 10 minutes away from Wiltshire too. I'm not quite sure what the Ancestry Library Edition is please?
Old 03-06-19, 20:09
Administrator

Here is some info. I'm sure the staff at the library can help you access the Ancestry library edition:

https://www.dorsetcouncil.gov.uk/lib...y-edition.aspx

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 03-06-19, 20:18

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry View Post
With regard to Arthur Kemp b April 1867 - Had you noticed there are two Arthur Kemps registered in Kensington District in 1867. One of these two seems to have married Martha Alice Fox in 1891 (they are together in 1901 and 1911), and gives his place of birth as Hammersmith, and the other married your Louisa Mary Innell and gives his place of birth as Hammersmith in 1911.

This one should be yours:

KEMP, ARTHUR
BULLOCK
GRO Reference: 1867 J Quarter in KENSINGTON Volume 01A Page 107

and this one is hopefully the other man!

KEMP, ARTHUR
HOBBS
GRO Reference: 1867 D Quarter in KENSINGTON Volume 01A Page 153

...Hopefully you have the marriage certificate for your Arthur and also hopefully the two Arthurs don't both have a father with the same forename!!
The genealogy is complex which reflects life in Victorian England I'm afraid. I know Arthur had another family somewhere, because my father had a step-brother called George Thomas Kemp (born 1896), it looks very complicated to me.

What are the HOBBS and BULLOCK references please?

Don't think I have the marriage certificate for Arthur Kemp. Here is Arthur with Louisa at Bromley on the 1911 census.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg arthur-kemp-census-1911-web.jpg (34.9 KB, 3 views)