Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > What Did Your Relative Do In The Great War?

Old 02-03-15, 16:29

Default (48) James Clifford Nicholas, Lance Corporal 33172 8th Bn East Surrey Regiment

48th of the Old Boys of St Wilfrid's School, Haywards Heath to lose his life in the Great War.

James was born in Haywards Heath on 26 May 1898 and christened at St Wilfrid’s on 10th July that year, son of James and Ruth Nicholas. He had an elder brother, George who was 3 years his senior. His father was 22 years older than his mother. In 1901 the family lived at 29 Mill Green Road where his father was a coal delivery man and by 1911 they lived at Holly House, Paddockhall Road, and father was then a domestic coachman. George had started work as a butcher’s assistant, while James went on to work at the gasworks.

George was killed in action at Suvla Bay, Gallipoli aged 20 on 11 Sep 1915; and is buried at Amzak Cemetery, exact location unknown but he appears on Special Memorial 18.

James died of wounds in Belgium aged 19 on 29 Sep 1917 and is buried at Nine Elms British Cemetery. West Vlaanderen, Belgium grave III. B. 3.

There was a piece in the local paper:
MID SUSSEX TIMES 9 OCT 1917
DEATH OF LANCE-CORPORAL J C NICHOLAS
We regret to have to record the death of this young soldier, who was in the East Surrey Regiment. He was the only surviving son of Mr & Mrs J Nicholas of Limehurst Cottage, Paddockhall Road, and was 19 years of age. Before joining up he was employed at the local Gas Works. He was educated at St Wilfrid’s School and was a member of the Church Lads’ Brigade. His mother, on Sunday morning, received the following letter from Second Lieutenant H Morris:-

“It is with much regret that I have to inform you of the death of your son, Lance-Corporal J C Nicholas. He was killed almost instantaneously on the night of the 29th September and was buried with a full military funeral in the 30th. He was a very promising young non-commissioned officer in my platoon, and his loss is much felt by me and his comrades in the platoon, please allow me to offer you my deepest sympathy on the loss of your son.”

Mr & Mrs Nicholas lost their elder son in September, 1915, at the Dardanelles.

His mother received his effects of £2 3s and a War gratuity of £3 on 5th November 1919. She died the following year, aged only 47, and their father in 1921 aged 70.

Link to brother George