Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > DNA Questions

Old 01-07-19, 22:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary from Italy View Post
No change here: it still says "beta off" at the top of the page.
I accidentally clicked on "beta on", and I can't get rid of it now. How annoying!

Is there really no way of viewing the place names in a match's tree any more?
Old 01-07-19, 23:59

No. Many places - eg Blakeney in Norfolk - are somehow omitted from Ancestry's database.
Doing a place search, therefore, has limited value.
The beta matches are definitely a retrograde step in that respect. I end up trawling through an entire tree.
You can somewhere get the ancestors plotted on a map, but that only works if Ancestry recognises the pace.
Old 08-07-19, 00:13

I don't have a lot of faith in ancestry staff after the last week of communications about issues where I lost common ancestors but I'll pass on the pearls of wisdom and let you decide if you want to follow any of the advice. Please keep in mind not one of the people I have spoken with has been able to work out the difference between an unsearchable private tree and a public tree with DNA matches attached.

1. all accounts must have access to each others trees and matches, even when one account is manager of all.
2. you must have full and correct information on your tree, particularly you and your parents, to get thrulines
3. you must have ancestry records attached to people to get thrulines
4. you have attached the match incorrectly to your tree (but ancestry can't tell you how it is wrong nor how to fix it).

Now I dispute all of these but it is clearly what ancestry tell their staff. What has worked for me is to unlink the dna from the tree, log out of ancestry and then back in and reattach it and wait a few days.
Old 08-07-19, 10:27

Full and correct info?!!!

I call myself Jonah Wale, and have no names until I reach great grandparents. Ancestry has picked up thrulines.

Full and correct info?

Ancestry is trying to force me down the wrong maternal line because someone else has made an error.

Ancestry wants to make use of us to do the work. I've lost genuine common ancestors because Ancestry are insisting my tree is wrong. Which has full and correct information for the bit I'm interested in.
Old 08-07-19, 18:38

I used the "Was this useful? Provide feedback" in the bottom righthand to point out the loss of known direct ancestors or the fictitious ones. I got back the missing correct ones eventually though still have a couple of red herrings.
Old 08-07-19, 22:46

The new hints system may prove useful in the future, and I wonder whether we will be able to evaluate potential ancestors in the same way - explaining why we are rejecting the child who died aged 4 as an ancestor.
Old 09-07-19, 09:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
Full and correct info?!!!

I call myself Jonah Wale, and have no names until I reach great grandparents. Ancestry has picked up thrulines.
I have Tom, Dick and Harriet in my tree. No further details and not the real names and there are thrulines.

Something had gone wrong. Unlinking, then relinking worked.

Unless you want us all to find your tree you might want to change your name.