Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Family History News and Information

Old 08-01-17, 17:38
Administrator

Looks like it, yes.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 09-01-17, 15:11

Looks like this is currently the best (only?) site for free electoral rolls. It does provide full addresses, rather than only the first line and then having to pay to view the rest.
Old 17-04-17, 16:56
maggie_4_7

It may already be in this thread somewhere I did search but nothing came up.

Australian Cemetery Index

http://austcemindex.com/
Old 18-05-17, 20:25
Muggins in Sussex

The Down Survey of Ireland

http://downsurvey.tcd.ie/
Old 19-01-18, 19:30

Default Newspaper searches for U.S. relatives

It's worth underscoring the usefulness of the free Fulton History site, fultonhistory.com, for old newspaper searches. I've used it for years, with sometimes spectacular results.

Pivot to Digital: A visit with the man who has digitized more newspaper pages than the Library of Congress
The article in the above link makes me aware once again of the enormous amount of material available there, and has opened my eyes to how much more is being constantly added.

One hint I would pass on to anyone wanting to mine its database is that I don't find its own search engine particularly user-friendly. But there is an easy alternative. Use your regular Google search in any browser, and after your search terms add a word space followed by site:fultonhistory.com (with no word space after the colon).

You can also use the built-in search engine on Fulton History as described here by Kiterunner:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiterunner View Post
You don't have to be a member of ancestry or FMP to use the Fulton History site and it is free. I hadn't come across it before I saw it on that Rootschat thread. Just click on the link below and when the page loads, click where it says "Enter" or "Press here". Then you should see a page with search boxes on the left and you can enter the name you are looking for, and it might work best if you select "the exact phrase" from the dropdown menu. Then click on "Search" and you should get a list of newspapers that it has found matches in, and you can click each one in turn to see the newspaper page containing the article.

http://fultonhistory.com/Fulton.html
If you want a good comparison, you could for instance try searching each way with the name of my relative, children's book author Helen Fuller Orton, and you'll clearly see the difference.

Janet (Niagara)
Old 28-07-20, 17:05

Hi,

I found the sites on ThisIslandWiki which has sites for Guernseyand Jersey, very useful for finding relatives, a lot of the records go back to around 1530, and seem to be cross references to other family pages : https://www.theislandwiki.org/index.php/Main_Page

Another site I have found useful is Parrishmouse it contains Parrish records for a lot of counties, although it is incomplete, it is quite useful.

Dan
Old 13-01-21, 03:02

The internet archive has hundreds of books devoted to parish records, county pedigrees and town/county histories. They can be searched and viewed on the site or downloaded in several formats for offline use.

Bit of an odd site to link to as the homepage search isn't deep enough, the link should land a level or two deeper, As an example a simple search of Lincolnshire Pedigrees has resulted in me downloading several books already and I haven't really scratched the surface yet.

https://archive.org/search.php?
My coal is spent, my iron's gone
My nails are drove, my work is done
Lord receive my soul

Last edited by Glen TK; 13-01-21 at 03:23.