Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Family History General Discussion

Old 10-07-19, 03:01

Default I'm not judgmental

not much

I have some time without the family so have found my folders with my certs and have scanned them all and am now adding them to my tree.

It is taking me a while to add the certificates as I keep getting side tracked. I've just added one certificate and realised the man had had 3 relationships within 11 years, my relative being the third relationship.

For female number 2 I've written in the marriage description "appears to have had an affair".

Apparently when I first recorded the information I didn't like the time frame between marriage number 1 and the birth of the first child with woman number 2.
Old 10-07-19, 16:10

And we think things are bad now lol.
Old 10-07-19, 17:32

Hmm!

My gt x 2 grandfather married 3 times. Third wife was the same age as his eldest daughter (my gt grandmother).

Also in my tree but not a direct line, is a man who married 3 times, each time the wife getting younger until he was old enough to be his first wife's great grandfather!
Brewer, Broad, Eplett & Pope in Cornwall
Smoothy & Willsher/Wiltshire in Essex & Surrey
Emms, Mealing + variants, Purvey & Williams in Gloucestershire
Barnes, Dunt, Gray, Massingham, Saul/Seals/Sales in Norfolk
Matthews & Nash in Warwickshire
Old 11-07-19, 00:39

Three marriages don't worry me but I am often astounded by the short period between marriages. It's like there is no mourning period. I do understand when there were children though that they needed a babysitter so Dad could go to work.

I think 3 marriages is the most I have in any of mine or OH's trees. Unless you're Elizabeth Taylor I think 3 is enough.

Sounds like your man needed a carer Nell but a wife was probably cheaper.

I just added a marriage certificate for a couple where the husband was not much younger than the brides father, and 30 years older than the 19 year old bride. It lasted less than 10 years and then he filed for divorce as she was having an affair with a man her own age. She did marry the second man. I wonder if the first marriage was arranged.
Old 11-07-19, 09:16
Administrator

I agree with the surprise at which some people remarry so quickly.

My most married person on my tree had five brides, but doesn't fit the mould for speedy remarriages:

First wedding, he was 26, she was 20. Marriage lasted 10 months. Wife died two days after delivering her first child. Husband remained a widower for about 4 years.

Second wedding, he was 32, she was 27. Marriage lasted 10 months. Wife was buried four days after delivering her first child. Husband remained a widower for nearly five years.

Third wedding, he was 37, she was 27. Marriage lasted six years. Wife died about a week after the birth of her fourth child. Husband remained a widower for about 13 years.

Fourth wedding, he was 57, she was 27. Marriage lasted 8 months. Wife died 2 or 3 days after her first child was born. The child also died (all the children from the previous marriage lived to adulthood). Husband remained a widower for about four years.

Fifth wedding, he was 62, she was 27 (yes, another one aged 27!). Marriage lasted 15 years, but no children. She outlived him, remaining a widow for six months.

This last bride's second husband was also older, being 27 years her senior (he had been a widower for about four years when they married). She died 18 months after this second marriage, but I don't know the cause (no children). Her second husband then remarried just six months later to a woman over 40 years his junior. They had one son, and after another ten+ years of marriage he died, his young wife outliving him, but only by about ten years.

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 19-07-19, 16:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry View Post
I agree with the surprise at which some people remarry so quickly.

My most married person on my tree had five brides, but doesn't fit the mould for speedy remarriages:

First wedding, he was 26, she was 20. Marriage lasted 10 months. Wife died two days after delivering her first child. Husband remained a widower for about 4 years.

Second wedding, he was 32, she was 27. Marriage lasted 10 months. Wife was buried four days after delivering her first child. Husband remained a widower for nearly five years.

Third wedding, he was 37, she was 27. Marriage lasted six years. Wife died about a week after the birth of her fourth child. Husband remained a widower for about 13 years.

Fourth wedding, he was 57, she was 27. Marriage lasted 8 months. Wife died 2 or 3 days after her first child was born. The child also died (all the children from the previous marriage lived to adulthood). Husband remained a widower for about four years.

Fifth wedding, he was 62, she was 27 (yes, another one aged 27!). Marriage lasted 15 years, but no children. She outlived him, remaining a widow for six months.

This last bride's second husband was also older, being 27 years her senior (he had been a widower for about four years when they married). She died 18 months after this second marriage, but I don't know the cause (no children). Her second husband then remarried just six months later to a woman over 40 years his junior. They had one son, and after another ten+ years of marriage he died, his young wife outliving him, but only by about ten years.
Merry, I'd thought my 2xg/grandfather was unlucky but your story tops his.

Married for five years, wife dies after giving birth to third child, who also fails

to survive.

After respectable period - nine years - marries again. Wife dies seven years

later in third pregnancy.

Now a single father of four, he waits another ten years before marrying again

only to die just six weeks later.

Isn't that the saddest thing? Oh, and no sniggering please - cause of death,

erysipelas.
Old 19-07-19, 23:08
Administrator

Quote:
Oh, and no sniggering please - cause of death,

erysipelas.
Isn't that what did for the Earl of Carnarvon who discovered Tutankhamun? And Queen Anne? Illustrious circles!?!!

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 21-07-19, 12:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry View Post
Isn't that what did for the Earl of Carnarvon who discovered Tutankhamun? And Queen Anne? Illustrious circles!?!!
The Earl of Carnarvon, yes I believe so Merry, but not Queen Anne as far as

I can see. Don't think 2xg/grandfather Henry William would have been

anxious to join this particular circle, no matter how illustrious. Not a very

pleasant thing at all.
Old 13-07-19, 15:53

People remarried quickly for a variety of reasons. Emotional - to avoid loneliness and to have companionship and support. Widowed fathers needed someone to look after their children (and themselves!). Widows would need financial support and perhaps wished to avoid unwanted attentions from other men. Marriage conveyed respectability.

I have been unable to find the second marriage of my great-grandmother, Emma. Her husband (gt grandfather) dropped dead on their 14th wedding anniversary in 1879. She appears in 1881 with second husband and has their baby later that year. I often wonder if he was a lodger she took in to help with the family finances.
Brewer, Broad, Eplett & Pope in Cornwall
Smoothy & Willsher/Wiltshire in Essex & Surrey
Emms, Mealing + variants, Purvey & Williams in Gloucestershire
Barnes, Dunt, Gray, Massingham, Saul/Seals/Sales in Norfolk
Matthews & Nash in Warwickshire
Old 13-07-19, 16:54

I have a much married man in my tree. He married again aged 72, to a 19 year old and promptly died. (No sniggering, please).

The grieving widow managed to hold onto all his assets including a mill, for 15 years. She was finally forced into administering his estate when she became pregnant. Oh what I would give to have been a fly on the wall in that village!

OC