Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Family History News and Information

Old 21-07-12, 17:05

I've just taken the bait too. Thanks, Kite. Now for the learning curve.

Janet (Niagara)
Old 21-07-12, 22:54

My UK FMP full sub is due to be renewed on 14th Aug...so I'm going to give this a go and see what happens.

As Kit says the Australian prices are far too high. Our dollar is now higher than the US$ and yet we pay loads more. ???
Old 22-07-12, 11:56

Not on the US site Libby. I paid less than $58.

It's not just ancestry Libby. My friend bought her son some lego from the US and paid shipping here. The same lego here was over $100, she paid $50 US plus shipping.
Old 25-07-12, 15:29

I haven't subscribed but can you search the PR's on parents names without one & how do you do it please?
Old 25-07-12, 15:43
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayG View Post
I haven't subscribed but can you search the PR's on parents names without one & how do you do it please?
Yes. Search records - Vital Records (Birth Marriage and Death). Then select Where - Collections from United Kingdom and you get a message about resetting the filters or something; when that has gone, put in the name (or just surname) and dates you are looking for, and put both parents' given names in the keywords box and click on the Search button. If you get too many results, click to select a "record collection" or "record set" from the list on the left. More likely you don't get enough results, so try variants on the names or just try one parent's name instead of both, then when you have lots of results, select the "record collection" or "record set" to start narrowing it down. If you post up an example of what you want to search for I could give some more specific suggestions of how to do it.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 25-07-12, 15:49

Thanks Kate, i'll have a look.

I'm looking for children of George & Ann Fisher who married 1792 in Acton, Cheshire. I already found 5 baptisms for their children in Acton & Maplas but not sure if i've found them all.

The children I have found so far are
Edward 1794
John 1797
Thomas 1798
Samuel 1801
Ann 1803
Old 25-07-12, 16:07
Administrator

Okay, I kept getting "an error has occurred when processing your request" if I put in the date range, so doing it the long way round:
Collections from - United Kingdom,
Last Name - Fisher, optional keywords - George Ann
found nothing
so trying again but just George this time,
Record Collections - Births & Baptisms
Record Set - Diocese of Chester Parish Registers of Baptisms; Diocese of Chester Bishop's Transcripts of Baptisms (tick both of these)
Then you will get 176 results but it includes babies called George as well as those whose father is George and also we need to find the right date range - this would have been easy if it didn't keep generating errors, but click to Order By - Birth Year and then again to get Birth Year Ascending, then page 3 of the results starts at 1791.

Ummm... can't remember what you get to see if you haven't subscribed at this point and when I click to view the transcripts (when logged out) it breaks! Well, it is a beta test site at the moment. If you have registered but not subscribed you could try the above steps and see if you can see which of the results are what you are looking for. I seem to remember you have to be careful to click "back to search results" instead of using your browser's "back" button or you lose your results list. Also I think it keeps taking you back to page 1 instead of the page you were on. Some work still required...

Old 25-07-12, 16:22
Administrator

Hmm, that was quite nasty - it kept trying to make me go to the UK site and pretending to give me the option of continuing to the US one but doing nothing when I clicked on it. Managed to get back in now but I thought I'd better log back in.

Now I realise you might be better to sort by First Name instead of Birth Year as it will let you jump past all the Georges more easily. But it does look as though you would have to have a sub to see which of them had a mother called Ann, sorry. Hopefully they will fix the keywords part of the search so that it actually works properly for more than one word, since it does say "keywords" and not just "keyword". If they fixed it then I think you would be able to do the parent name search without subscribing.

Old 25-07-12, 16:30
Administrator

It seems somewhat perverse to try to force people to go onto their local FMP site regardless of whether it offers a world sub or not, don't you think? If I want to research my ancestors / relatives who emigrated (in either direction) I will need the US site because the US records aren't available on the UK site. I know ancestry does the same thing, but you can actually search for / view records from any country on any ancestry site as long as you have the right sub, and the one registration will allow you to log onto all their sites. Hopefully this is an indication that FMP are going to do something similar with their sites - though if so, I wonder what will happen to those of us who have more than one sub with the same login details!

Old 25-07-12, 16:36

Thanks Kate, i've followed what you said & managed to get 27 results using George as a keyword & 1792 - 1820 as a date range. If I enter George Ann as keywords I don't get any results. I've got a normal FMP sub so am checking on there for the full parent info. Haven't found any others, only another couple having kids at the same time.