Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > DNA Questions

Old 24-08-23, 08:07

Default A weird medical dilemma

My daughter, who is also definitely my husband’s daughter, has developed some strange medical condition.

That in itself is nothing new as I have three conditions that are considered extremely rare and are on the NORD site.
D has not got these but several other conditions. One of these is apparently only seen in a couple of American Indian groups.

Neither I, nor Lawrie have any American DNA. We are Scottish, Irish, English, German, Danish, Norwegian and Baltic.

The doctors at our major hospital are scratching their heads……
I must admit I haven’t even asked what it is as it is not her two main, serious conditions.

I just find it really weird.
Old 24-08-23, 09:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarrysMum View Post
My daughter, who is also definitely my husband’s daughter, has developed some strange medical condition.

That in itself is nothing new as I have three conditions that are considered extremely rare and are on the NORD site.
D has not got these but several other conditions. One of these is apparently only seen in a couple of American Indian groups.

Neither I, nor Lawrie have any American DNA. We are Scottish, Irish, English, German, Danish, Norwegian and Baltic.

The doctors at our major hospital are scratching their heads……
I must admit I haven’t even asked what it is as it is not her two main, serious conditions.

I just find it really weird.
In 2002 my late husband was diagnosed with a compression of the spinal cord, which was operated on. Not that unusual you might think but where his was situated was. Most people it is in the lumbar region. His was thoracic. He was asked if he had any Japanese heritage as that is usually where it occurs in the thoracic area. Definitely not we said. He was also told that after the operation it wouldn’t reoccur but it did 3 years later. Surgeon said she’d have to go deeper and joked that she should have put a zip in the first time.

Last edited by Margaret in Burton; 24-08-23 at 09:41.
Old 24-08-23, 09:42

It's not that your daughter has American Indian ancestry, it's that she shares some genes found also in an American Indian group. The originator of those genes could have been from anywhere in the world, had at least two offspring, one of whom went one way (geographically) and one who went another way.

Well, that's how I interpret it anyway!

OC
Old 24-08-23, 10:22

I agree, OC. Our native Americans came out of the Siberian region, and from that part of the world it's at least as easy to move west as to get across to the east. The same genes could perfectly well have gone both directions.

Marg, if you could perfect that zipper idea you might make a fortune. Lol.

Libby, your family never fails to fascinate me.

Janet (Niagara)
Old 24-08-23, 12:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet View Post
I agree, OC. Our native Americans came out of the Siberian region, and from that part of the world it's at least as easy to move west as to get across to the east. The same genes could perfectly well have gone both directions.

Marg, if you could perfect that zipper idea you might make a fortune. Lol.

Libby, your family never fails to fascinate me.
Interesting. I wish we were just normal….lol
Would the Siberian be similar to Baltic? We have that.

Just ignore me if my geography is too bad.
Old 24-08-23, 12:56

Libby

Needn't be Siberia or the Baltic. Remember, geographical dna is inaccurate because not every person in the world has been tested. We all came out of Africa originally but it's a bit vague after that, certainly for each individual.

OC
Old 24-08-23, 20:33

True OC.