Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 30-01-10, 15:58

Default Nurse Child?

Hi Folks,

Probably sounds a bit basic, but does anyone know exactly what a 'nurse child' is, please? I have got a two month old baby living with a family in Burton on Trent, miles away from his mother in Derby, going by that title. This is on the 1911 and I do have the little 'un's birth certificate. His mother was married (I also have that cert), but believe the father did a runner as soon as he knew his new bride was pregnant. I cannot for the life of me find this child's father on the 1911 either.........!

Help please?

Chris
Old 30-01-10, 16:15
Stella

I'm wondering if it means the child was fostered out.
Old 30-01-10, 16:18

Yes, it's a foster child possibly the foster parents being paid to look after the child.

By the way, Burton on Trent is only 10 miles from Derby depending how far into Derby it is.
Old 30-01-10, 16:24

Thanks Marg and Stella - that's what I was thinking. I guess the mother had to foster out the little mite, as she was now in service to earn a crust. I think the baby was born in what was a workhouse in those days - 121 Highbury Road, in the sub-district of Bulwell, Notts. I have Googled in that address, to no avail. There are hundreds of houses in that road, but not that one!

Chris
Old 30-01-10, 16:41

Just been doing address searches on the census on FMP and 121 Highbury Road doesn't seem to exist.
Old 30-01-10, 16:43
Stella

Chris, have you tried this site? If you type Bulwell in the search box, it may point you in the right direction.

http://www.workhouses.org.uk/index.h...reenwich.shtml

Click on the homepage, then use the search box. I think there was a workhouse called Bulwell.

Last edited by Stella; 30-01-10 at 16:45.
Old 30-01-10, 21:39

May thanks for that, Stella.

It would seem that the address (or at least Highbury Road) was a workhouse/hospital at that time, having a maternity department, and after 1930 the institution was then known as Basford County Institution. In 1948 when the NHS came into being it was known as Highbury Hospital.

I then found a link which gives an email address for certain documents/admissions/discharges from workhouses etc., so will contact them to see if this Annie Louisa Key has any notes.

I still cannot for the life of me find her husband on the 1911, who obviously did a runner. Marvellous, innit? That poor woman (my maternal grandmother's sister).

Chris