Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 27-01-10, 10:13
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kit View Post
So if someone married in 1813 they would have been born in 1792 or before?
That's right as long as they were not lying about their ages!

Obviously full age can mean anything over 21 - my g-grandfather was 57 when he married for the first time and his cert says full age.

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 27-01-10, 11:29

Um, just to muddy the water a bit, I have seen marriages which do not state "of full age" and where (I know) the couples are minors, but there is no mention of permission having been gained, so it wouldn't be safe to assume an age from the lack of one on a marriage register!

OC
Old 27-01-10, 12:49

What we have no means of knowing is whether the church is crammed to bursting with bride's mother, groom's granny and every other gossip in the village. In those circumstances, the vicar might not bother to indicate that the bride was 15, with the entire church nodding approval.

If a shifty couple slid into the back pew for the banns, he might well be concerned to be sure it was with parental consent, in case he got into trouble.
Old 27-01-10, 13:05

Phoenix

I entirely agree with that - in the case I mention, in the mid 1700s, the bride is 13, the groom is a few days either side of 15.

Banns were called, I have those, but no mention of permission being asked or granted. However, the father of the groom was church warden and local worthy and signed the marriage register as witness, so I am sure that permission was gained "on the nod" if not on paper!

(The happy couple produced the first of 15 children within 4 months of the marriage. The marriage lasted almost 60 years.)

OC
Old 27-01-10, 17:29
maggie_4_7

What I meant to say was 'off full age' would mean over 21 unless of course they lied which people did all the time.

There you go 1st Jan 1970 for lowering the coming of age to 18.

Of course I was only 14 then so couldn't vote until I was 18 which was 1974
Old 28-01-10, 01:51

OC you could be right and she lied about her age, I suspect she did on the census. If I have the right bride she was from the parish church and I couldn't find a baptism around the year her census ages suggest, which is why I was checking if the age was 21 or lower to be of full age, as I need to check earlier.
Old 28-01-10, 10:39

I'd be wary of believing any age given as they didn't have birth certificates and were often unsure of their age.

I missed out on my Coming of Age - as I was slap bang in the middle - they reduced it to 18 shortly before I got to 21. boohoo