Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Family History General Discussion

Old 31-08-12, 11:12
Administrator

lol You two!!

I thought it was very interesting to hear his brother speaking - his accent was pretty soft and their voices were very similar, I thought. (and this having HAD to listen to the pub scene several times as my children kept interupting! )

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 31-08-12, 11:18
Administrator

I often wonder how far wide of the mark we may be when looking at the lives of our ancestors ......I still haven't got over a few years ago a newly discovered 96-year-old cousin cheerfully telling me one of my direct line ancestors used to touch up young women when he was an old man!!! (not her, apparently!). I still don't quite know what to do with this information in my own head, as it doesn't fit into the picture I had built up of this person. There are others still alive who remember him, but no one else has ever said anything similar. Apparently, it was "known to everyone who knew him" Sadly, the cousin is no longer with us now, so I can't ask anything further.......

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 31-08-12, 11:53

Patrick Stewart's middle name is Hewes. I wonder where that came from? I can't find it as a name in his mother's side of the family.
Old 31-08-12, 12:03

That reminds me of a conversation I had with my Dad's cousin, who told me that my grandmother had told him all about the facts of life and had a rather colourful sex life... I remember her as a sweet old lady with a blue rinse, who knitted clothes for my dollies... Sadly he too has passed away.

Meat on bones, that's what it is. Much more fascinating then hatching, matching and dispatching on our trees...
Old 31-08-12, 12:08
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel A View Post
Meat on bones, that's what it is. Much more fascinating then hatching, matching and dispatching on our trees...
lol Rachel! I'm still building my time machine!

Old 31-08-12, 12:28

Make room for a seat in there for me...
Old 31-08-12, 12:31
Administrator

No problem Rachel!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
Patrick Stewart's middle name is Hewes. I wonder where that came from? I can't find it as a name in his mother's side of the family.
Where did you see that, Shona? It's not on his birth reg or first marriage. I wondered if it's a name he added himself?

EDIT - I just googled and see it's on quite a few sites!

Old 31-08-12, 13:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel A View Post
I run a series of genealogy workshops (started with a colleague of mine who is no longer at the company, unfortunately!) and every week I say the same thing! I think its now become my stock catchphrase!

(Time machine for me, too, please! I'm still trying to find out the father of one my multiple-great-grandfathers who bore his father's surname despite him dying over 11 months before his birth! Best guess? His single brother ... Birth certificate is suitably mute on the subject!)
Old 31-08-12, 13:54
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry View Post
Where did you see that, Shona? It's not on his birth reg or first marriage. I wondered if it's a name he added himself?

EDIT - I just googled and see it's on quite a few sites!
I once heard a nugget of Baby Spice (Emma Bunton)'s family history on the radio which was obviously a load of rubbish and you would be amazed how far it has spread across the internet! (I should add that the radio presenters got it off the internet without checking; they didn't make it up themselves).
http://www.skeptive.com/statements/4154

So I would be interested to hear if anyone manages to work out whether Patrick Stewart has ever actually used the middle name "Hewes"!

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 31-08-12, 13:59
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiterunner View Post
So I would be interested to hear if anyone manages to work out whether Patrick Stewart has ever actually used the middle name "Hewes"!
Or whether he ever had a grandfather called William Stewart, stage carpenter!