Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 11-02-10, 13:03

Default Family dispersal in 1841

This is a Forlorn Hope request.

I have a family that was scattered in 1841 after the father was committed to the Queen's Bench prison for debt. I think I have found a few members, but three seem to have disappeared without trace. None of them died, because they are all accounted for in 1851.

John GOULD;b.1780 Wilts;cleric found - HO107:1084;Enumeration District: Queens Bench Prison; Folio: 16;Page: 2; Line: 19; GSU roll: 474668.)

Mary GOULD;wife;b. 1792 Dorset

Mary GOULD;daughter;b.1819 Beaconsfield Bucks

Elizabeth Hussey GOULD
;daughter;b.1822 Beaconsfield Bucks; (possibly E.H.GOULD, pupil teacher,HO107; Piece 130; Book: 3; Civil Parish: St Oswald; County: Cheshire; Enumeration District: 3; Folio: 15; Page: 25; Line: 10; GSU roll: 241256.)

Susanna GOULD;daughter;b.1823 Beaconsfield Buckspossibly Susannah Gould, pupil, HO107; Civil Parish: Kirkby Lonsdale; County: Westmorland; Enumeration District: 5; Page: 19; Line: 2; GSU roll: 464191.

Alice GOULD;daughter;b.1825 Beaconsfield Bucks (fairly sure this is correct, as there is a Gertrude of the right age at school with her: Brighthelmstone/Sussex;HO107/1122/pg 1;line 4)

John Henry GOULD;son;b.1826 Beaconsfield Bucks (earliest sighting of him is 1849 attending Merton College)

Gertrude Stirling GOULD;b.1830 Beaconsfield Bucks (see note for Alice)

I know it seems odd that the possible references are scattered about the countryside, but there was a public appeal for relief for the family in 1838 and I think various friends of the family may have made provision for the education of the children wherever they could.

Unfortunately Mary and John Gould are not exactly uncommon names. However, I tend to discount any labourers or tradespeople I encounter, as the family persisted in thinking of themselves as gentry to the bitter end and I have never discovered any of this family engaging in manual work. Invariably,they were 'living on independent means.'

I have set out to search for them on several occasions and have mostly drawn a blank.

I don't expect miracles, but with this Forum, one never knows
Old 11-02-10, 13:16

Don't know if this is of much help, but the school at Kirkby Lonsdale was for Clergymen's daughters, so that does sound likely for your Susannah, as her father was a cleric.

It's the same school that was attended by the Brontë sisters and was the inspiration for Lowood () in Jane Eyre. My grt grandmother and her sisters also went there but at a later date.

It's still a school :http://www.castertonschool.co.uk/
Old 11-02-10, 13:22

That's interesting, Georgette. I agree, it seems highly likely, as a lot of names on the public appeal were clergymen.
Thank you.
Old 11-02-10, 13:24
Administrator

Ooh, I wonder if that's the same school that my grandfather's third cousin Kathleen Douglas Hewitt (nee Brown) went too? Her father was a clergyman and I remember in her autobiography she mentioned being sent to a boarding school somewhere in that area. I've lent the book out and not got it back yet, so I can't check.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 11-02-10, 13:35

Might have been, Kate! It wasn't always like Lowood, my grt grandmother sent a postcard of the school to my grandfather telling him of the fond memories she had of her time there
Old 11-02-10, 15:13

I have just been rereading your article on the family in the family tree forum magazine -fascinating stuff. No help with the present querry but have you seen this? http://www.bucksstainedglass.org.uk/HTML/0070.htm
Old 11-02-10, 16:53

I have, thanks, Anne. Gorgeous windows, aren't they? My photos really didn't do justice to them and i had to rely on Rachel to make a better fist of it.

I'm away to bed now...will look in tomorrow to see if anyone else has had some clever thoughts on where to find the strays.