Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 11-02-10, 09:36

great ideas, thanks allan for the insight into old liverpool, it does help and would explain the possible appearance of thomas corcoran, i think maria was baptized in st peters,
i have another relation i am trying to find the wife of, all i know is she is mary from kilkenny, i looked at the common names of kilkenny to see if that could help and low and behold i find welsh, her husbands name, i presumed it meant from wales originally, and it does, but according to the irish site the welsh populated kilkenny from the 13th century and strange as it may seem, welsh is one of the most common names in kilkenny

i presumed they met in liverpool where he was born but maybe his family was irish and they met there, a bit of history does put a different perspective on it, cheers allan

hi kiterunner, i was thinking of getting a birth certificate for one of the girls but it does not help me connect them to the corcorans of 1878 and onwards, that's the problem, the witnesses at squire jones wedding were henry dugmore and eliza landess, eh, dugmore is good name for a quarry man, good thought about the Latin names, will search again, thanks as ever for such great input
Old 11-02-10, 09:41
Administrator

So, there is a James Corcoran birth in 1847 in Much Woolton (on Lancashire BMD) and a James Corcoran death in Jul-Sep 1847 Prescot district on FreeBMD. Then Ann born 1849, then Jane born 1851, and a Jane Corcoran death Apr-Jun 1852, Mary born 1853, Jane born 1855, a Jane Corcoran death Jan-Mar 1859, Michael born 1858, Ann born 1861. But because mother's maiden name isn't given for these births on Lancashire BMD, and age at death isn't on the GRO index for those dates, and the deaths aren't on Lancashire BMD yet, these might not all be your family and the deaths might not be the same people as the births! Back to the censuses...

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 11-02-10, 09:45
Administrator

Okay, so that Michael born 1858 definitely isn't Thomas and Mary's son as I've found him on the 1861 census and his parents were Martin and Catherine. Also Ann 1861 belongs to them. Doesn't help much, though...

Old 11-02-10, 09:57

sorry allan, it was st mary's much woolton
Old 11-02-10, 09:58

it also has mother as mary murphy corcoran
Old 11-02-10, 10:01
Administrator

I've been looking and looking at the censuses and getting nowhere, sorry.

Old 11-02-10, 10:07

just aside, in 1891 mary jones or maria is down as marion jones (corcoran)
Old 11-02-10, 10:08

thanks kiterunner, appreciate your efforts, so we might have a james as well although didn't survive
Old 12-02-10, 06:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiterunner View Post
Looking at the birth registrations on Lancashire BMD, I'm just wondering whether the names you have from the baptisms, Anna, Maria and Johanna, could be Latin versions of the names Ann, Mary and Jane? I know sometimes the names in the parish registers were written in Latin, especially Catholic ones. Only there are a few Anns, Janes and Marys in the birth registrations but I can't see Anna, Maria or Johanna.
That is a great thought Kiterunner....my 3 x g grandfather was born in Woolton and he is babtised as JOANNIS.....JOHN.....so maybe the minister was the old fashioned type and it was all in Latin.....allan
Old 12-02-10, 06:49

A large family with the surname Welsh in Garston who are very good friends of mine...because of you Bidston I will have to go to the pub later and ask the eldest of the family if their roots are from Woolton....lol.....my money is that they were from Woolton for one simple reason...Garston property is a lot cheaper than Woolton.because of the endless supply of work in Woolton and people having money , the houses that they built were very very superior than Garstons....so it was easier to buy a house in Garston cos they were cheaper.
The good news is that the mum and dad of this family have not long died (about five years ) and they were late 80`s , so we might be in luck......
for the record there are 10 Welsh in Woolton in the phone book so they are still there.....allan