Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 09-02-10, 17:44

Default maria corcoran

hello ladies, its me again, that bloke descended from martha whatsit, this time am having trouble with squire jones wife maria corcoran

have the marriage certificate no problem, the above married 14 jan 1878
squire jones 22 - father, thomas jones blacksmith
maria corcoran 23 - father thomas cochrane stonemason

now have been on ancestry like a man possessed, trying to find maria prior to 1878, the only luck i have had is a family back in 1851 who look hopeful but can find nothing in between to confirm, no sign of them in 1861 or 1871

what i have is maria corcoran 28 feb 1853 much woolton, which ties in with her details after she is married to squire jones, also have anna corcoran 15 april 1849 much woolton and johanna corcoran 3 july 1855

all have parents as thomas corcoran 1824 born ireland and mary corcoran 1826 born ireland at rose street much woolton 1851 with anna now 2 years

there is even a possible marriage 20 sept 1846 at liverpool, but finding them in between in order to confirm has me demented, you will note father spells his name cochrane on the marriage certificate

any ideas
Old 09-02-10, 17:57

What county were they in?
Old 09-02-10, 17:59
Administrator

I'm assuming the family you found in 1851 was Thomas Corcoren 27 labourer b Ireland, his wife Mary and dau Ann aged 2?

When you say:

Quote:
what i have is maria corcoran 28 feb 1853 much woolton, which ties in with her details after she is married to squire jones, also have anna corcoran 15 april 1849 much woolton and johanna corcoran 3 july 1855
what do you mean by 'what I have is'? Are those details from birth certs? What is Thomas's occ on those? (if that's where the info came from)

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 09-02-10, 18:07
Administrator

Just read your post again and realised we are both refering to the same census, but are those dates you gave baptisms not births? It makes a difference as people didn't always get baptised where they were born so you might be looking in the wrong place on the census records.

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 09-02-10, 18:08

Just for reference, here are Squire and Maria in 1881.

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/iexec/?...c=&pid=9379017
Old 10-02-10, 02:56

thanks folks, all around much woolton, which is now just known as woolton, part of liverpool, had a large irish population in the old days

i only have suire jones marriage certificate, everything else is just what i have found

yes, it is the same family with thomas as labourer, cant understand where they might have gone

marriage is at prescot which is the district for woolton
all squire jones family are from those little villages in the same part of yorkshire, how did they meet i wonder

i have births as 3 july and baptism 15 july for johanna and 15 april and 18 april baptism for anna

found a ann corkran age 12 in 1861 as servant in woolton also, seen somewhere wife of thomas as mary murphy corcoran
Old 11-02-10, 06:47

The Irish potato crop failure of 1845 had a massive Irish influx on Liverpool...(still affectionately known as the Capital of Ireland) so I would think that would explain Thomas coming to Liverpool.
Garston (nicknamed "Little Wicklow") and Woolton(which adjoins Garston) were very well populated with Irish immigrants mainly from the Wicklow area.
Woolton had a massive Sandstone Quarry which can still be seen and was the supply for the Anglican Liverpool Cathedral which took 100 years to build...so...plenty of work there for quarry workers and stonemasons.
As for the Jones connection to Woolton, could it have been anything to do with Blackwells Iron Foundry( 2 foundarys in Garston) which built and supplied Iron railway bridges for all over the world.
I know this isn`t helping with your name research, but you might get an insight into why they came to Liverpool and why they met..don`t forget that Liverpool was the busiest seaport in the world in the mid to late 1800`s....hope you get a better view now of how they met.......allan ( was Maria babtised in St Peters or St Marys ?)
Old 11-02-10, 08:50
Administrator

You'd be best to get the birth certificate for one of Thomas and Mary's children to see what it says for Mary's maiden name before looking into Thomas and Mary's marriage. If the births were registered, that is! As you have the exact dates of birth it should be easy enough to make sure you get the right certificate.

Who were the witnesses at Squire and Maria's wedding?

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 11-02-10, 09:15
Administrator

Looking at the birth registrations on Lancashire BMD, I'm just wondering whether the names you have from the baptisms, Anna, Maria and Johanna, could be Latin versions of the names Ann, Mary and Jane? I know sometimes the names in the parish registers were written in Latin, especially Catholic ones. Only there are a few Anns, Janes and Marys in the birth registrations but I can't see Anna, Maria or Johanna.

Old 11-02-10, 09:27
Administrator

Ah, having looked at the IGI entries, I'm sure that's what they've done, since the parents' names are given as Thoma and Maria on some of them. Also there is another Joanna, surname given as Corchoran, born 13 May 1851 and christened 15 May 1851, which matches up to a Jane Corcoran birth registration on Lancashire BMD.

It looks to me as though the IGI batch is one of those "girls only" ones, so there could be some boys we don't know about.