Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 21-03-10, 06:10

Default Another bigamist in the family?

It looks as though I may have another bigamist in the family, and I’m trying to prove/disprove it.

My GG-grandfather Thomas Mallet’s sister was Elizabeth Ellen Mallet, baptised in Tamworth on 1/10/1820. Their father was John Mallet of Dosthill, a farmer (according to her baptism entry and Thomas’s entry in the family bible).

I think this is her in 1841, living in Gaol Road, Stafford:
Class: HO107; Piece 1010; Book: 2; Folio: 26; Page: 7;
The head of the family is John Brookes, shoe m j (presumably a journeyman shoemaker), and the others present are his wife? Mary, daughter? Anna, apprentice Thomas Rhead (probably Mary's brother), and dressmaker Ellen Mallet, all born in county except Ellen (Dosthill is on the border of Warwickshire and Staffs).

This appears to be the marriage of John and Mary (from the IGI):
JOHN BROOKES
Spouse: MARY READ
Marriage: 16 MAR 1835 Castle Church, Stafford, England

On 23/11/1842, John Brookes and Elizabeth Ellen Mallet get married.
I have the cert, which reads as follows (marriage at St Chad’s, Stafford, by licence):
John Brookes of full age, bachelor, shoemaker, Sash Street, father John Brooke, shoemaker.
Elizabeth Ellen Mallett, of full age, spinster, Forgate Street, father John Mallett, bailiff.
The witnesses are two people called Lycett who I’ve never heard of.
Foregate St is parallel to Gaol Road, and Sash Street lies between the two.

In 1851, John Brookes, boot and shoe manufacturer, and wife Elizabeth, are living at 14 Great Colmore Street, Birmingham:
Class: HO107; Piece: 2052; Folio: 506; Page: 6

I originally assumed that Mary had died, but…

In 1851, the first John Brookes (cordwainer) is still living in Gaol Road, Stafford with wife Mary and 4 children, including Ann.
Class: HO107; Piece: 1999; Folio: 284; Page: 17

In 1861 and 1871 John, Mary and children are still living together, in Peel Terrace, Stafford.
Class: RG9; Piece: 1907; Folio: 36; Page: 53
Class: RG10; Piece: 2818; Folio: 44; Page: 25

There’s a possible death for Mary in Stafford in 1876. I haven’t found an obvious death for John.

In 1861 Elizabeth Ellen is living in Edward Street, Birmingham. She says she’s a widow. Also in the household is unmarried lodger Joseph Badham, her 9 year-old niece Sarah S Mallet (who funnily enough also seems likely to have committed bigamy later), and visitor Martha Badham (Joseph's sister-in-law). This is definitely my Elizabeth Ellen, because Sarah Slingsby Mallet was my great-grandmother’s sister.
Class: RG9; Piece: 2130; Folio: 94; Page: 33

Joseph Badham and Elizabeth Brookes get married in Birmingham in q3 1861 (I don’t have this cert).

In 1871 and 1881 Joseph and Elizabeth Badham are living in Lee Street, Leicester.
Class: RG10; Piece: 3275; Folio: 89; Page: 9
Class: RG11; Piece: 3168; Folio: 18; Page: 8

Joseph dies in 1884, and in 1891, Elizabeth is in Aston, as a visitor in the household of her nephew Thomas Mallet and his wife Mary Ann).
Class: RG12; Piece: 2423; Folio 76; Page 37

In 1901, Elizabeth (shown as C Badham) is staying in Lichfield with another nephew, also called Thomas Mallet (my great-grandmother’s brother).
Class: RG13; Piece: 2655; Folio: 5; Page: 20
She dies in 1903.

I’m sure I have the right Elizabeth Ellen from 1861 onwards, but I’m not 100% certain about 1841 and 1851.
I suppose there could be two parallel families, but what are the chances of an Ellen Mallet living with John and Mary in 1841 and then going on to marry another John Brookes, who works in the same trade?

Can anyone see anything I’ve overlooked? (sorry about the length of the post…)

Last edited by Mary from Italy; 22-10-11 at 20:55.
Old 21-03-10, 06:25

Not being able to see all the ages, is it possible that the JOhn Brookes Ellen married was the son of the other John Brookes? Have you looked for a death for him?
Old 21-03-10, 12:36

No, the ages on the census are practically identical, unfortunately: all the John Brookes shown in the censuses I linked to were born c. 1814, and Mary was about the same age. They did have a son John, but he was born in 1845.
Old 18-06-14, 21:46

Just updating this thread in case anyone else interested in this family happens to see it.

I eventually sorted the problem, more or less; I found a probate for Elizabeth Ellen's husband John Brookes in 1860, so he can't be the one from the 1841 census, who was alive until at least 1871.

I still don't know whether my Elizabeth Ellen is the Ellen Mallet in 1841; I think she probably is, and perhaps that John Brookes was related to her future husband.