Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Family History General Discussion

Old 28-07-23, 06:35

Thanks Elizabeth for enriching the story. I thought Lesley's amateur researcher relation hadn't found Aaron's death, she had obviously been primed by the producers to say no more so Lesley could be whisked off to Australia as I'm sure she would have known he had gone there.

I was also muttering "Swing riots" and trying to remember if it's me or OH who has Ayling ancestors (OH).

I live near Brighton, the visit to the Pavilion was for a nice setting for the interview though had nothing to do with the research. Someone in a Brighton group said she remembered Lesley as a little girl and she was "very spoilt" which says more about the OP than Lesley. (Apparently she had a pony so a bit of jealousy there I think!)
Old 28-07-23, 07:09

I agree about the pronunciation of Aaron. Definitely "Airon".
Old 28-07-23, 07:50

Off topic, but Headley Workhouse is now Headley Grange and it was where Led Zepplin recorded a lot of their material.

https://faroutmagazine.co.uk/headley...usical-refuge/

My great-great-grandfather William Edward White was born there.
My sister lived just up the road for a while.
Old 28-07-23, 08:14

Snap with Kate and OC on how to pronounce Air-ron!

When she was getting so carried away about what a caring person Aaron was, the proof being because he was a prominent rioter, I was thinking that it might just have been that he was a thug who jumped on a passing bandwagon to justify his thuggery. There is absolutely no way of knowing what anyone's character was like or what drove them when all you have are written records from a period in history. It's one of the great frustrations of family history!

It must have been an exciting programme for you and your daughter to watch Elizabeth. Unfortunately, in spite of sharing a birthplace with Leslie, none of my Sussex names cropped up. The only similarity was that I have a 2xgt grandfather who moved from Winchester to Lewes in the 1840s and I too have been to the East Sussex Archives at The Keep!
Old 28-07-23, 08:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann from Sussex View Post
Snap with Kate and OC on how to pronounce Air-ron!

When she was getting so carried away about what a caring person Aaron was, the proof being because he was a prominent rioter, I was thinking that it might just have been that he was a thug who jumped on a passing bandwagon to justify his thuggery. There is absolutely no way of knowing what anyone's character was like or what drove them when all you have are written records from a period in history. It's one of the great frustrations of family history!
According to the account, Aaron Harding was very drunk - the rioters had found wine belonging to Mr Shoesmith, Master of Headley Workhouse and were drinking it. Aaron was one of those men. At the end of the riot, only one room was untouched, the room where the sick children were housed.
Old 28-07-23, 10:06

I agree, Ann. It is noticeable that whenever any illegal or unpleasant activity is uncovered on WDYTYA, that the celebrity immediately finds a way to either excuse it or turn it into something noble when it appears to be sordid and stupid. We all want to think our ancestors were wonderful, but not all of them were, in my experience. The nasty ones must belong to someone, after all!

OC
Old 28-07-23, 10:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olde Crone View Post
I agree, Ann. It is noticeable that whenever any illegal or unpleasant activity is uncovered on WDYTYA, that the celebrity immediately finds a way to either excuse it or turn it into something noble when it appears to be sordid and stupid. We all want to think our ancestors were wonderful, but not all of them were, in my experience. The nasty ones must belong to someone, after all!

OC
I agree too, OC. I wonder what happened to the poor children.
Thomas Harding was baptised at Selborne on 27th October 1828.
His mother died and his father transported. When I have time I'll try to find the children in the 1841 Census.
Old 28-07-23, 10:31

I enjoyed this one and found it quite interesting - I even managed to stay awake!

I was also captivated by Lesley's fabulous clothes (apart from the coat and hat at the end) There was a severe case of wardrobe envy, here

Please accept my apologies for lowering the tone of the thread
Old 28-07-23, 11:55

First thing I thought about was what happened to all the people in the workhouse who lost the roof over their heads.

Then about Airon’s children though the eldest was said to be 20 so perhaps they took responsibility or perhaps some ended up in the workhouse.

I also wondered why they hadn’t looked at the 1921 census for the estranged couples.
Old 28-07-23, 11:56

Sue, not lowering the tone at all, I was admiring her clothes (and her figure too). The hat was very odd, I agree.

OC