Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Family History News and Information

Old 21-05-21, 08:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggie_4_7 View Post
Thats why I find SP frustrating sometimes ie Wigtownshire doesn't really exist now its now Dumfrieshire council area but SP still indexes the old parishes as Wigtownshire/Wigtown. I have to check on a map a lot when searching SP for some context.
Just making it clear. The search I made was on FMP not SP in order to answer Kite's question re the sources. As I could not open it because of the error 500, and still can't, I don't yet know the source or the info transcribed. I do have my Grandmother's death registration image from SP under Angus
Old 21-05-21, 08:21
maggie_4_7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarzyna View Post
Just making it clear. The search I made was on FMP not SP in order to answer Kite's question re the sources. As I could not open it because of the error 500, and still can't, I don't yet know the source or the info transcribed. I do have my Grandmother's death registration image from SP under Angus

I was commenting on SP using the old parish areas for searching because that's what will be on the images.

I posted above where the birth and marriage transcriptions are from its Family Search International.

The death transcriptions seem to be from individual counties, I looked at one from Lanarksire and it says "Lanarkshire Family History Society"

Last edited by maggie_4_7; 21-05-21 at 08:51.
Old 21-05-21, 09:07
Administrator

Thanks, Maggie. I think they messed up the information in Findmypast Fridays about the sources.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 21-05-21, 09:31

I've just looked for what I think is OH's cousin's death in Edinburgh in 2018 but it didn't come up.
Old 21-05-21, 10:03
maggie_4_7

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiterunner View Post
Thanks, Maggie. I think they messed up the information in Findmypast Fridays about the sources.
Maybe they are all from Family Search but depends where Family Search acquired them from and who transcribed them. I have never paid much attention to the copyright messages on Family Search to be honest.
Old 21-05-21, 10:08
maggie_4_7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBee View Post
I've just looked for what I think is OH's cousin's death in Edinburgh in 2018 but it didn't come up.
I just had a bit of a problem with a John McMillan marriage I got it in search results in FMP. I have never seen this one so I searched on SP and nothing came up in a search for John McMillan but if I searched on the female name it came up!
Old 21-05-21, 10:11
Administrator

In "about this collection" on FMP, they say:

This growing set of millions of records has been compiled from a number of sources, including local government burial indexes held by various councils and archives, volunteer & local family history society transcriptions, modern records of funeral homes and civil registers. These records will be updated regularly over the coming months from a variety of different sources, if you cannot find the person you are looking for, return again as the collection grows.

Not very specific!

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 21-05-21, 10:16
maggie_4_7

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiterunner View Post
In "about this collection" on FMP, they say:

This growing set of millions of records has been compiled from a number of sources, including local government burial indexes held by various councils and archives, volunteer & local family history society transcriptions, modern records of funeral homes and civil registers. These records will be updated regularly over the coming months from a variety of different sources, if you cannot find the person you are looking for, return again as the collection grows.

Not very specific!
Well that covers everything, I just looked at a death for Ayrshire it is from the Ayrshire Archives but has © Findmypast.
Old 21-05-21, 11:53

I saw the death entry on Scotlandspeople for 2018 but it didn't come up on fmp so unless I want to stump up about £14 it can wait until I get up to Edinburgh
Old 21-05-21, 12:59
maggie_4_7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBee View Post
I saw the death entry on Scotlandspeople for 2018 but it didn't come up on fmp so unless I want to stump up about £14 it can wait until I get up to Edinburgh
What were you looking for and do you have FMP subscription?