Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Family History General Discussion

Old 31-12-13, 07:21

Default Evidence-less ancestors

Has anyone else got any direct ancestors for whom they have no information other than census returns?

I have some direct ancestors - mostly in London I think - where there are no birth registrations, baptisms or marriages but I do have death certificates, burials and other stuff plus the hope of baptisms for some if RC records ever become more easily available.

But I have one 4 x great grandmother who I can only find on census, from 1851-1901, and nothing else, not even a likely death registration. I have no maiden name, no marriage, no birth registrations or baptisms for her children and so far no death or burial....
Old 31-12-13, 07:56
Administrator

Well, no, not to that extent! My first thought was, fancy having a 4xg-grandparent alive in 1901! lol but I guess it's not so good when they are so frustrating!

Of course I now want to know who she is - I had a very quick look at your ToGG threads, but either missed her or you didn't post her details.

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 31-12-13, 07:58
Administrator

I have a friend whose entire family come from Denbighshire and has three Jones grandparents. The majority of her tree appear on the census only!

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 31-12-13, 08:05

She's the Mary in this thread, Merry but we mainly looked at her son-in-law and daughter - http://www.genealogistsforum.co.uk/f...ghlight=whitty

I don't know why I didn't add her to the ToGG threads. I've since probably found daughter Eliza Cox in 1911 in St Luke's Workshouse, Shoreditch - a 64 year old widowed french polisher born Clerkenwell. This morning I've found her admission 21 Oct 1910 and she's in the Religious Creed register - C of E, born 1847 of 13 Eagle Street (right area). In the dead or discharged column it says OR 1.5.1911 but I can't find the removal order records on Ancestry...I assume Mary is dead by then
Old 31-12-13, 08:07

Lol! I don't think I have one Jones ancestor:-) But I do have a lot of ancestors living in London who managed to live under the radar quite successfully!
Old 31-12-13, 08:25
Administrator

Ooh, I remember that thread, but as you say it was more about the next generation.

I'll have another look later on but don't hold your breath!!

Old 31-12-13, 08:25

Thanks, Merry:-)
Old 31-12-13, 08:53

Yes, I have my 2 x GGF, Thomas Bell, born about 1820/9 in Carlisle. He appears on census with wildly differing ages and on his (second) marriage cert his father's name is blank. Almost every Thomas Bell born in the 1820 decade in Carlisle was illegitimate, so it's hopeless.

OC
Old 31-12-13, 08:54
Administrator

To save me looking, do you have Henry senr's father's first name? (ie the father of Henry b 1823-ish)

Old 31-12-13, 09:01

I'm comforted, OC :-)

No, Merry - I've not found a likely 1841 for Henry bc1823