Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Members' Direct Ancestors > Take One 3xGreat-Grandparent

Old 18-11-14, 15:17
Administrator

Quote:
Also James Sage jr has a wife Jane on the censuses but there is a likely marriage for them in 1840 so she isn't the Jane who was the witness in 1837 (if it does say Jane).
I knew there was something I'd forgotten to finish! It was the wife of James jr I was looking at when I got distracted by James sr on the 1841 census and I never went back to see when Jane and James jr married. You are right though - too late to be helpful.

I agree that Ann Meredith should have named a daughter Ann. I don't think I saw a bap for the son James, did I?

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 18-11-14, 15:34
Administrator

James Sage was baptised 10 May 1818 at Bristol St James.

I've been following the children of James sr and Ann forwards to see whether any of them had a daughter Harriet born in Bristol about 1848 (remember "Harriet Irony" on the 1881 census? She is "cousin" to one of my Ann's daughters though of course she could be related to Ann's husband instead of to Ann). It looks as though Emma married a Charles Williams in Apr 1851 and Louisa married a Nathaniel Williams in 1854, and I think Charles and Nathaniel were brothers, but I haven't found any of them in 1861 yet to check. But I haven't figured out what happened to Ellen yet.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 18-11-14, 16:36
Administrator

Harriet Irony?? I did find a post where you mentioned her on GR in 2006!

I can't say I remember her! I just played with fmp trying to find single women called Harriet in 1871/91, but for some reason every one I found was in Scotland, so I'm clearly doing something wrong!! lol

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 18-11-14, 16:38
Administrator

Quote:
whether any of them had a daughter Harriet born in Bristol about 1848
Erm, she was 48 in 1881!!

Old 18-11-14, 17:41
Administrator

Oops, sorry. Well, forget her, then, she's too old to be a granddaughter of James and Ann.

Old 18-11-14, 17:47
Administrator

It's ironic that you have such a great lead as a cousin in the house, but 8 years later (or more) she is still a mystery!!

I've worked out that fmp have some censuses with unmarried people listed as unmarried and some where they are recorded as single instead! it was much easier when they had the drop-down box for status. (not that discovering this led me to any likely looking Harriets!)

Time to go and wander aimlessly round the kitchen, in the hope that a meal will jump out at me................

Old 19-12-16, 13:36
Administrator

Well, now that FreeREG have re-introduced the witness search, I searched for John Vowles as a marriage witness and I found a John Vowles making his mark (like my John did on his own marriage record) at the wedding of a John Baber, labourer, and Hester Sage 24 Sep 1837 at Dundry, Somerset. Her father is William Sage, sawyer.

Hester Sage was baptised 17 Oct 1819 at Dundry, parents William and Jane, with father's occupation sawyer.
There is also a Mary Sage baptised 7 Aug 1808 at Bristol St Philip and St Jacob, parents William and Jane of Lamb Street, father's occupation sawyer.

I've looked at the Baber family through the censuses and not found anything to connect them with my Ann Sage and John Vowles yet (though there are some Vowleses near them on the 1851 census, in Bedminster, but not mine as far as I know). Remembering that Alfred was a rare name at the time, they have an Alfred Seal age 6 born Bristol St Thomas visiting them in 1871. Oh, maybe not such a rare name by then?

Surely William and Jane must have had some more children in between Mary and Esther / Hester? And my Ann is supposed to have been born in the parish of St Philip, Bristol, where Mary was baptised.

I know this may turn out to be a red herring but I'm getting so excited!

Can anyone see William and Jane's marriage? The only one I can find so far is William Sage / Jane Hughes 4 Oct 1802 at All Saints, Maidstone, Kent, which seems a bit unlikely but I will look into it.
(Edit - the Kent, Tyler Index to Parish Registers on ancestry has Wm as a bachelor and Jane as a widow which might fit if the ages on the deaths in the next post are approximately correct.)

Old 19-12-16, 14:00
Administrator

There is a Jane Sage death registered Jul-Sep 1856 Bedminster district (which included Dundry) and her age is 79 on the online GRO death index. There is a possible FS in Bristol on the 1841 census but I can't see her in 1851.
Edit - Jane Sage buried 18 Aug 1856 Portishead, abode Portishead, age 80.

Also a William Sage death Jan-Mar 1839 Bedminster district, age 54.

Old 19-12-16, 14:03
Administrator

The burial for that William Sage death registration is 7 Mar 1839 at Chew Magna, abode Dundry, age 54.

Old 19-12-16, 14:16
Administrator

Possible marriage for Mary - William Street OTP and Mary Sage OTP married by banns 18 Mar 1832 Dundry, wits Geo Taylor and Wm Sage.

Tags
to3g8