Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 07-03-13, 03:48

Default Harriet Whitehead and Daniel Butler of Reading Berkshire

In 1846, my second cousin 4 times removed, Harriet Whitehead, married Daniel Butler in Reading Berkshire.

By 1851, Daniel was dead and she had married Isaac Lewis. In the census, it also shows that Daniel and Harriet had a son Frederick Butler born in 1847, living with Harriet and Isaac.

Frederick's entry says he was born in Guyana, which seemed really odd, and later census say Reading Berkshre.

However on FMP, I found a newspaper snippet which said Daniel Butler, the son of Mr Butler of St Johns Hill, died in Demerara Guyana. I have run out of credits, can any one look at it for me to see if says why he was in Guyana ?

So Harriet and Daniel went out to Guyana soon after their marriage and had Frederick there, not longer before, or soon after Daniel died and Harriet had the wherewithal to return ton England - I am intrigued and want to know more !!

No other family trees are showing up on ancestry, even though the Lewis' and Whiteheads are linked to quite a few trees.

Diane
Old 07-03-13, 16:22

Diane it doesn't mention Guyana but Georgetown is in Guyana. Would you like a copy of the notice as I've downloaded it as a PDF ? if so send me a PM with your e-mail address.
Old 07-03-13, 17:14

Demerara is a province of Guyana - Georgetown is in this province. The 1851 census records Frederick as being born in Demerara P, Guiana.
Old 07-03-13, 20:49

It seems that records for Guyana are pretty rare and those that exist are not being well cared for. Whatever they were doing there, they probably arrived and departed at Georgetown.

Darn, now I think I have a death for Frederick, age 11, in Hurst in 1858, where he was living in 1851.

Another little interesting twig, prematurely ended !!

Di
Old 08-03-13, 01:09

Thanks to Durham Lady,

The sad death of Daniel Butler

Reading Mercury Sat 24 April 1847

We lament to have to report the melancholy death of Mr Daniel Butler, youngest son of Mr Butler, of St Johns Hill, in this town, which took place at Demerara, at the beginning of last month. Mr Butler was formerly a member of St John’s Church and went from Reading to the Church Missionary College, in London, where he trained as a catechist, preparatory to his engaging in the service of the Missionary Society. About twelve months since he left England, accompanied by his wife, for George Town, near Demerara, the station appointed him by the Society. By letters that have come into our possession, we learn that this promising young man, on the 3d ultimo, went from Demerara to the penal settlement at Bastica Grove, to read to the convicts and after he had concluded his duties there he set off in a boat across the river with several others, to the mission station, when it unfortunately dashed against some breakers and capsized. Mr Butler was supported for some time, but at length he was pulled under by another who was drowning. His body was found on the following day. This sad intelligence was officially communicated to the friends of the deceased by Col. Straith, secretary to the Society. Mr Butler was 23 years of age and only a fortnight previous to his death, his wife gave birth to her first chld.
Old 08-03-13, 01:22

Such a sad story...