Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Members' Direct Ancestors > Take One 2xGreat-Grandparent

Old 19-03-10, 11:33

Default Adams Edwards

Name - "official" name and what they were known as
Adams Edwards aka the man who got me started in family history
Date and place of birth
1826 Plymouth, Devon
Names of parents
Adams & Susan Edwards (nee Helmer)
Date and place of baptism - if applicable
Details of each of his or her marriages - if any
to Mary Anne Parsons
Occupation(s) - if any
chemist & druggist, tea dealer, insurance agent & manufacturer of various patent foods & medecines.
Addresses where they lived (including county if in UK) - and please list which censuses you have or haven't found him/her on.
found on every census till his death
Date, place and cause of death
4 January 1906 Bovey Tracey, Devon
Date and place of burial / cremation.
Not in Bovey Tracey burial register
Details of will / administration of their estate - if applicable
as an ex bankrupt, living in 1901 in a 2 bedroomed cottage with his daughter & family?!
Memorial inscription - if any
Not known.

Last edited by Phoenix; 19-03-10 at 13:28.
Old 19-03-10, 13:26

From the Hartland Chronicle:

No 443-4 Hartland Wednesday march 6th 1935

LIFE OF LATE MR ADAMS EDWARDS
He carried on a large business in Mill Street for 18 years, in premises which has since been divided into two, and one used many years by Dymond & Blackmore. At that time Mr Edwards advertised somewhat extensively one part of his trade, baking powder manufacturer, with list of agents in all North Devon towns. About 1865 he removed to the building now many years the Post Office, Hartland, and later successively to 40-41 Fore Street, 64, Market square, and about Lady-day, 1894, to 63 The Terrace, where his wife, Mary Ann, died at the end of April, aged 60. She was an adept at making Honiton lace, and for years, although a large woman, attended Bideford market, travelling in the carrier’s van with garden produce etc. Her sister Charlotte was the mother of Mr John P Burrow, Springfield, and Mr Geo Burrow, 40 Fore Street. Mr Edwards stayed on some years at The Terrace with his youngest daughter M Annie P Edwards, who married at our Parish Church, February, 1895, Thos James Vanstone. He drove Mrs Thorne’s carrier’s van some years until she married secondly the late Mr James Vanstone of Seckington. Mr Edwards went with his daughter to Bovey Tracey and died there. Jan 4th, 1906, at the invitation of her brother Charles, Mr and Mrs Vanstone emigrated to Toronto and have prospered well. One of their sons, Harry, came over and lost a leg in the Great War. Mr Adams Edwards used to attend the Congregational Church here till it was closed over 50 years ago. Though not great in stature he was a most useful man, and we missed the chemist’s shop when he left.
His eldest son, Charles, born November 1855, learnt the chemist trade in Bideford, went to London for a while, and about 1878 emigrated to Canada. Going to Toronto in 1893, he travelled for some years for McCallum & Co, wholesale and retail drug merchants. Then, with two other employees, John McDonald and Edward Morley, he formed a new firm, carrying on the wholesale department on Mr McCallum confining himself to the retail store.
About 1903 Mr Charles Edwards went into real estate business. He was a prominent member of Georgina Lodge, A.F. and A.M., and Court Sherwood Lodge, I.O.F., and attended the Anglican Church. After a lingering illness he died in the General Hospital, Toronto, aged 68, leaving a wife and one son, Fred.
Susan, eldest daughter, born 1857, married Mr Lockyer and died at Bradford, Yorks.
Matilda, born 1859, is Mrs Horne, of Womersh, near Guildford.
Charlotte Emma, born 1863, now celebrates her golden wedding to Mr Thos Grigg.
Frederick Osman, born 1865, lived in Bideford at 5, Lamerton-place, and died after a long and painful illness, June 17 1930, aged 65, being buried the following Saturday in the Higher Cemetery.
Adams, born at Hartland, December 1867, attended Mr Foster’s private school here, and course of time he, too, went to the New World, being most successful in business in Vancouver. He retired several years ago and lives at Brookleigh-road, R.M.D. 1, Royal Oak, British Columbia.
Mary died 1870, aged 3 months.
Old 07-08-14, 21:54

Extract from the will of Agnes Helmer nee Hele his grandmother, proved 1831:

I do give and bequeath unto my grandson Adams Edwards the sum of three hundred pounds further, part of my capital stock in the new four per cent annuities aforesaid which I direct my executor to assign and transfer to him when and if he shall live to attain the age of twenty one years and I direct the dividends thereof in the mean time when and as they shall become due to be paid for and towards his maintenance But if he shall die under that age the said legacy shall go to and be equally divideded between his brothers and sister (my grandchildren) or the survivors or survivor of them when and as they respectively or the survivor of them shall attain the age of twenty one years.

Tags
to2g10