Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 02-09-17, 07:00
Administrator

I can't find the 1913 George on the 1939 Register, so he may well have been in the Services at that date.

I did wonder if they had separated as there only seems to be the one child? Do you remember Phyllis having a husband when you visited her?

EDIT: There is a George Rotherforth listed in the Royal Artillery Attestations 1883-1942 on FMP:

Army No. 1466774 George Rotherforth Transfers to other Corps: Transferred to CMP 1.7.41

I think CMP is Corps of Military Police, but I'm not well versed in army acronyms!

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 02-09-17, 07:16

Hi merry , I'm sorry I didn't know much about the family as my father never spoke about his siblings and I don't know anything else . There are a few marriages of rotherforth which are potential ones , but it is picking the right one. But thanks for looking
Old 02-09-17, 07:17

Hi. merry , I can't remember , seeing anyone and it's all very vague , sorry it isn't any help .
Old 02-09-17, 07:42
Administrator

Another thing.....

After the death of Phyllis Rotherforth there is a marriage in 1959 in Leeds district for a George Rotherforth. I had already looked for further info on the bride to see if she gave any clues, but didn't find anything. However I just entered her married name (pretty uncommon) into FMP and specified Wales only and the name turned up in the electoral rolls for 2002-3 at an address in Rhyl where it was reported she had lived for 25 years+. So, as Rhyl is in Rhuddlan district it is very likely this is the widow of the George who might have been Phyllis's husband!

I looked for her on the 1939 Register as I was hoping to find her future marriage to George marked on there, from which I might have got further clues, but couldn't locate her, most likely because she was perhaps born after 1916 and is either still living or died too recently for the entry to have been opened by FMP. She doesn't seem to have died within the range of the available GRO indexes on Ancestry and I did also look at the Probate Indexes up to date and there was nothing there either.

I've run out of ideas for the moment lol

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 02-09-17, 07:47

Hi , I have found two marriages , which could potentially be George and Phylis's daughters . One in 1956 and one in 1961 . How can I find out which is the right one ? Thanks
Old 02-09-17, 07:57
Administrator

The only 100% way to be sure would be to buy the marriage certs, but I would say the 1956 one is more likely to belong to the woman born in Sheffield in 1936.

Both of those women would appear to be spinsters at marriage as there are births in the following years with the correct mmn and the name combinations are probably fairly uncommon (though I've not actually looked for other marriages with the same surname combinatons - rare ones do sometimes come up more than once because of two brothers marrying two sisters or similar). The other marriage (1961) is followed by children born in Leeds district, so that looks promising.

Old 02-09-17, 08:03
Administrator

Sadly the youngest son seems to have died in a road accident in 2002 (google). I looked at him first because his name seems the least commonplace. You might find other clues via the various reports about the accident and obits etc.

Old 02-09-17, 08:22
Administrator

I think that's probably enough info on this open forum, so if you want any other questions answered regarding potential living relatives perhaps you could send me a personal message

Old 02-09-17, 08:29

I have found four potential siblings of the daughter of Phylis , don't know if they are related to each other , these are from the potential marriage in 1961 in the Leeds area . So can look from here .
Old 02-09-17, 08:33
Administrator

Don't you mean four children for Phyllis's daughter? It's the youngest one I was referring to in my last-but-one post.