Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Family History General Discussion

Old 21-08-17, 13:58

Default Writing a Family History Blog

My name is Paul Chiddicks and I am 53 years old and have been researching my tree, on and off, for the last fifteen years. I live in Cheshire with my wife and two grown up children and have been living in leafy Cheshire for around 20 years. Before this, I spent all my earlier years living, working and growing up in Thurrock, in Essex.

I have decided to start writing a family history blog to record my own family tree, to promote interest in our hobby, and to hopefully find people with similar interests to my own. I have shared the links below. Any comments and feed back are most welcome, both positive and negative. Please feel free to comment on the blog pages as well.

I have also started writing a blog for Family History Magazine, see link below

https://www.family-tree.co.uk/how-to...ernative-guide

My twitter and blog links as follows:

https://twitter.com/chiddickstree

https://chiddicksfamilytree.wordpress.com/

The main names that I am researching are as follows:

Chiddicks, all areas,

Daniels in Dublin

Keyes in Prittlewell, Essex

Wootton in Mansell Garnage in Herefordshire and London

Stampa in Edinburgh

Lukes in Gravesend, Kent

Luttman in London
Old 21-08-17, 15:08
Administrator

Welcome to the forum, Paul

You certainly have been busy with your FH blog etc etc

I randomly chose to read about your ancestor Matthew Chiddicks and of course have questions! lol (sorry )

Firstly, is there a reason you don't mention the name of the newspaper when you supply a quote from one?

Secondly, are you sure Matthew was a railway engine driver? You say the 1891 census gives that occupation for him, but as far as I can see the entry just says engine driver (though his son, William, works for the railway). I was under the impression it took years to become a driver in those days, so I was surprised he made it to that rank in (presumably) less than ten years. There's no record of him in Ancestry's UK, Railway Employment Records, 1833-1956, but I know that doesn't cover every railway employee! Any thoughts?

Now I feel mean for sounding negative to begin with it wasn't my intention - I was just interested in what you wrote!

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 21-08-17, 15:56

Hi merry,
No need to feel mean, I put things out there for comment and feedback thats the whole purpose of this. Somebody else on another forum made a similar comment. I have possibly been mis-guided by the fact that two of his sons both worked within the railway industry, the one you mention and laterly his younger son, so I may have made a leap of faith here.

The only reason that I did not mention the newspaper was I was not sure if I would be contravening any copyright laws with the British newspaper archives, thats the only reason.

but thanks for looking at my page all feedback is welcome, positive and negative.
Old 21-08-17, 15:59

Welcome aboard, Paul. I shall give your blog a read after tea.
Old 21-08-17, 16:04

Thanks for the welcome, James and Merry
Old 21-08-17, 17:05

Hi Paul and welcome. Your name is very familiar! Scanned through my OH's South Ockendon connections and no Chiddicks, maybe I've done a look up on another board for you given my locality..... Whatever, I'll read your Essex sections with interest!
Old 21-08-17, 17:15
Administrator

Quote:
The only reason that I did not mention the newspaper was I was not sure if I would be contravening any copyright laws with the British newspaper archives, thats the only reason.
I thought you might say that - part of the reason I asked was that we regularly transcribe from papers on this site without worrying about copyright. I think (if I remember correctly) the reason it's OK is because we always transcribe rather than copy and paste.

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 21-08-17, 19:28

Hi Sue,
Thanks for the welcome

Maybe you have found me on another message board somewhere, I am researching the Keyes of prittlewell also, which is right on your doorstep, maybe it was that???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue from Southend View Post
Hi Paul and welcome. Your name is very familiar! Scanned through my OH's South Ockendon connections and no Chiddicks, maybe I've done a look up on another board for you given my locality..... Whatever, I'll read your Essex sections with interest!
Old 21-08-17, 19:29

I am very mindful of copyright when using material from another source, I would rather take a cautious approach.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry View Post
I thought you might say that - part of the reason I asked was that we regularly transcribe from papers on this site without worrying about copyright. I think (if I remember correctly) the reason it's OK is because we always transcribe rather than copy and paste.
Old 22-08-17, 20:23

New blog added with a slightly different layout, incorporating pictures within the Text and story, which I think looks better.