Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 08-08-23, 07:38

Default very interesting search required please

Good Morning
John Terence Sherlock b 9/11/1897 in Skerries Dublin
an active IRA member - killed by the Black and Tans in Skerries Dublin 27th October 1920 aged 22 - a statue was erected to celebrate his life
https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/...photo=91864725
1901 census
Michael Sherlock aged 37 - father
Jane Sherlock aged 38 - mother
siblings
James 13
Luke 11
Mary Ele 9
Joseph 7
JOHN TERENCE 3
Alica - no age given
.................................................. ...........
John Terence known as Terry - has 2 blood relatives who drink in my local and live here in Garston - they tell me that after Terrys death - more or less the whole family moved to the USA . paid for by the IRA
I have searched a few sites - but can't find Michael and Janes marriage - the 2 girls would love to find out her maiden name .so when they visit Skerries again they can see if there is any family with that surname left in Skerries
sadly - they tell me that every time they visit Skerries - the family clam up and won't give them any info .no idea why
if anyone has any spare time I would appreciate a little help ....cheers
Old 08-08-23, 07:40

just found this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=3qUpNk_RNxU

off out shopping soon will post after 12 noon ...xx

Last edited by garstonite; 08-08-23 at 07:49.
Old 08-08-23, 08:20
Administrator

From the 1911 Irish census, Michael and Jane had been married 26 years, so about 1884/5.

From the birth registrations of the children, Jane's maiden name was Duff.

Michael and Jane were married 24 August 1885 at the RC chapel at Skerries in the union of Balrothery. Michael and both the fathers were labourers and Jane a servant. Address for both Skerries. Fathers were James Sherlock and Luke Duff. Witnesses were James Mullen and Jane Shervin (?). Everyone signed.

I used this site: https://www.irishgenealogy.ie/en/

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 08-08-23, 08:36
Administrator

From the same site, Luke Duff died 14 Jan 1910 aged 81 in Skerries. Interestingly he is listed as a sailor. It must be the right death as it was registered by his daughter, Jane Sherlock. Also says he was married rather than a widower.......

No luck finding him in 1901 (didn't look hard!), but in 1911 there's an Alicia Duff widow living in Skerries aged 80....She died 27 Jan 1913 still aged 80(!) in Skerries. The reg wasn't by a family member, so it would be good to find Luke or Alicia in 1901 to be sure they were a couple.

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 08-08-23, 08:39
Administrator

Ok, they are Luke and Alice Duffe in 1901. He is a retired sailor aged 70 and she is 65. Their address: New Street, Holmpatrick, Dublin, Ireland. Both born Co Dublin.

Old 08-08-23, 08:54
Administrator

I thought the Sherlock family might be too difficult, but there's a James Sherlock died 16 Apr 1901 in Skerries, registered by his son, Michael. This James was aged 66. The census was taken 31 Mar so he should be on it. Death says he was married, not a widower. Michael made his mark though, but on the marriage I detailed earlier he signed. Doesn't mean it's the wrong James's death, but proceed with caution because the surname is more common than Duff!

(BTW, with the previous couple I forgot to say, it's always possible Alice/ia was a step mother to Jane Duff. Alice did fill in the boxes for marriage and children in 1911, but they were rubbed out as she was a widow, so shouldn't have completed that part!)

Can't find the above James S on the 1901 census yet.

Old 08-08-23, 09:11
Administrator

Found a possible match for the James who died just after the 1901 census now.

He was aged 70 (!) and living at Great Strand Street, Holmpatrick, Dublin with his wife, Bessy aged 65. They were both born Co Meath. They have a couple of grandchildren with them surname Duffy.

As I say, I don't know for sure these are parents of the Michael you are looking at.

Even though Michael and Jane were probably born just too early to be registered for birth, they might both have younger siblings who were, given the ages of their parents (Duff line more certain), so you might be able to work out Alice/ia's maiden name at least, from the registration of any later children.

Old 08-08-23, 09:38
Administrator

Ooh I take it all back about Jane Duff being born too soon to be registered!

08 Jan 1865 New St Skerries, Jane dau of Luke and Alicia formerly Hogan. Father's occ sailor.

Old 08-08-23, 09:48
Administrator

Quote:
Found a possible match for the James who died just after the 1901 census now.

He was aged 70 (!) and living at Great Strand Street, Holmpatrick, Dublin with his wife, Bessy aged 65. They were both born Co Meath. They have a couple of grandchildren with them surname Duffy.

As I say, I don't know for sure these are parents of the Michael you are looking at.
I hadn't taken in that Michael (the one who married Jane Duff) was also b Co Meath. Again, he may not have been quite as old as he thought (only by a couple of years).

Here is Michael's reg (or at least, most likely - with the same parents I found in 1901)

Michael Sherlock b 26 Mar 1864 son of James and Betsy formerly Gilligan. Occ of father labourer.

I can't read the place name for this birth....Kentstown? It's in Navan district in Co Meath.

Honestly, I've never found an Irish Catholic family who have all their events at the right times to make them not too difficult to find. All mine are the exact opposite!! lol

Old 08-08-23, 11:03
Administrator

The death reg for Bessie Sherlock is two entries after the one for Luke Duff. Bessie, widow, died 29 Jan 1910 aged 69 in Skerries. The death was reg by her dau Lizzie Duffy.