Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 11-12-10, 15:43
Muggins in Sussex

Default Children's Homes

Would a baby in a Children's Home in 1919 have been baptised (at the age of about 6 months) ?

Again, apologies if I have asked this before - I don't think I have!!! - but I get very muddled LOL!

Thanks
Old 11-12-10, 16:41

I would imagine that it would be considered a matter of great importance back then and any child entering a Children's Home would be baptised immediately.

OC
Old 11-12-10, 18:04
Muggins in Sussex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olde Crone View Post
I would imagine that it would be considered a matter of great importance back then and any child entering a Children's Home would be baptised immediately.

OC
Thanks OC

Now the big question - for me at least - how would they decide the name of the baby?
Old 11-12-10, 18:44

Oh, I don't think I made myself very clear, sorry.

When a child entered a Children's Home, the receiving officer would have asked whoever brought the child in whether the child had been baptised or not and if there was any doubt it would have been done immediately (within a week, say).

If the child had a name then presumably that is the one they would use. If the child was abandoned or a newborn or whatever, they usually had a procedure for choosing a name - going up and down the alphabet was favourite, or maybe the name of the street where the child was found.

Plain and simple Christian names, nothing fancy, these were after all "rejects" and shouldn't be encouraged to have ideas above their station by being given fancy names.

OC
Old 12-12-10, 04:47
Muggins in Sussex

Many thanks for that, OC - your last sentence is particularly appropriate