Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 22-01-10, 21:06

Default Surname on 1851 Census

I'm trying to discover the parentage/family of a girl on the 1851 census and her relationship to Robert and Sarah Harris. Sarah is nee Blackshaw and her family originally came from Cheshire.

HO107; 1554; 443; page 15

She was born in 1835 in Chester according to the census, but I can't find her anywhere else.

Do you agree with the transcription of "Shilling" or could it be something else?

"A Blacksher" (on FMP) should be "A Blackshaw" (Aaron)
I don't know the Ancestry transcription as I don't have it at present.
Old 22-01-10, 21:26

It's Skilling on the ancestry transcription but wouldn't really like to say what is is myself.
Old 22-01-10, 21:59
Administrator

Looks like Shilling to me.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 22-01-10, 22:02

Shilling for me too

~~ May your House be free from tigers ~~

Old 22-01-10, 22:41
Administrator

This may not be any comfort to you, but I went off to FamilySearch RecordSearch to look for her in the Cheshire parish registers etc and found nothing, but while I was there I thought I would look to see if they had transcribed my OH's 4xg-grandfather's baptism yet, and I've found the baptism with loads of likely siblings! It's a shame they don't transcribe the entries fully or let you view the images, though - I thought that was the point of it? Sorry for going off-topic!

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 23-01-10, 07:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiterunner View Post
This may not be any comfort to you, but I went off to FamilySearch RecordSearch to look for her in the Cheshire parish registers etc and found nothing, but while I was there I thought I would look to see if they had transcribed my OH's 4xg-grandfather's baptism yet, and I've found the baptism with loads of likely siblings! It's a shame they don't transcribe the entries fully or let you view the images, though - I thought that was the point of it? Sorry for going off-topic!
Well done, Kiterunner! This is exactly the kind of thing I do - one query prompts me to investigate something, then I go off on a tangent and discover something else.

The reason I'm interested in her is to find out if she is related to the Blackshaws. Sarah Harris is Sarah Ann Blackshaw and Aaron Blackshaw (who lived in Sunderland) is her older brother and he was a Master Mariner. However, it is interesting to see that it says he was born in Middlesex (which I think is a mistake) as he was baptised at Holy Trinity Chester, and their parents came from Cheshire. But the parents were in Whitechapel/Stepney by 1801. This is why I think Mary Shilling might be a relative.
Old 23-01-10, 12:17

FMP have transcribed it as Shilling, and that is certainly what it looks like.

Variants, particularly in the North West, of Skilling are Skillen, Skillon, Skellon etc, etc, etc. There are lots of them in the Liverpool area, coming from Ireland, or from Wales.

It is very common for Skilling to be mistranscribed as Shilling and I have a wide store of possible manglings, including my favourite: Rilleg!
Old 23-01-10, 17:40
Administrator

Ooo this is interesting! One of mine married a Mary Ann Blackshaw that was in the Southwark area of London

Joanie
Old 23-01-10, 17:46

Joan, this is OH's family. His grandmother was a Blackshaw and it is a family mystery as her mother would never name the father of her two daughters - she was Sarah Ann Blackshaw (but not the one on the census quoted here).

They went from Cheshire to Stepney then up to Birmingham, then Somerset and back to London!

Where did your Blackshaws come from? I bet it wasn't London originally!
Old 23-01-10, 17:57
Administrator

Sarah Ann Blackshaw born about 1804 Deptford Kent. Her mother was Mary Ann Blackshaw born Bermondsey 1786, but I don't have her father's details, he could well have been born elsewhere.

Joanie