Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 19-01-10, 18:34
Administrator

Thanks, Wendy.

So, Richard Cox Northey, a miner, age 35, with a wife and 3 children, lived in Mahanoy City, which surely means he must be the one I found in 1880 but I must have got the wrong person in 1900! I'll have another look...

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 19-01-10, 18:42

Oh thank you both so much, just managed to get back to have a look and was about to google to see if I could see that report. Just can't wait now to send everything off to Melissa to see what she thinks. Hope somehow we can find the death of Eliza and his second marriage, I think they both must have been in the USA.

The age is a wee bit out though, by 5 years. 1870 Northey Richard 25 Miner England He would have been around 30 if baptised in 1840.

Last edited by Durham Lady; 19-01-10 at 18:52.
Old 19-01-10, 18:48
Administrator

By the way, Wendy, how did you get the page to load properly?

Old 19-01-10, 18:53

Kite, just added this to my last post.

The age is a wee bit out though, by 5 years. 1870 Northey Richard 25 Miner England He would have been around 30 if baptised in 1840.

Do you think I need to think again?

Tried to view the report bu it froze my main computer and my laptop. Weny how did you manage it?

Last edited by Durham Lady; 19-01-10 at 19:20.
Old 19-01-10, 19:23
Administrator

It could be that he knocked a few years off his age when he married Mary Jane. I wonder if we can find that marriage to see if there is any info?

Old 19-01-10, 19:27

I just googled the page and clicked on the link. No problems with loading page.
Old 19-01-10, 19:49

Had no luck with a mariage to Mary. If it was in the US they are very hit and miss.
Old 19-01-10, 22:48
Administrator

I'm utterly confused now! Having had the chance to check the 1900 image, it is the same Richard who I found on the 1870 and 1880 censuses, so not the one who died aged 35. But age 35, a miner with wife and 3 children, and living in Mahanoy City - surely that must be the same man in that report? Am I misunderstanding it?

The Richard who was married to Mary Jane says on the 1900 census that he was born November 1844, so although the year could be wrong, it doesn't look as though he is your Richard because yours being 10 months old on the 1841 census wasn't born in November. He says he immigrated to the USA in 1865 and Mary immigrated in 1852 (she was born Aug 1850) and they had been married for 32 years, so they would have married in 1867 or 1868, which would be possible if it was your Richard as Eliza could have died soon after their marriage.

I found a site called GenealogyBank which has a couple of newspaper clippings about Richard Northey who died in 1909, formerly a member of Mahanoy City Council, and who testified about conditions for the miners in Mahanoy City in 1897, but it's a pay site so I wasn't able to read the full articles. But I did find this message board post; maybe there is no more to the articles?
http://boards.ancestry.ca/surnames.northey/71/mb.ashx

Soo.... looking at the family trees on ancestry, there is someone who has your Richard staying in England and being married to a Phillippa on the 1871 census, and living in Paignton, Devon, in 1901. Birth place given as St Blazey, Cornwall, which is very close to St Austell. Their marriage was Sep 1866 St Columb, Richard Northey and Philippa A Endean, so again, if it is your Richard, then Eliza must have died soon after their marriage. I suppose you could get the marriage certificate to see if it is your Richard, or contact the owner of the tree - maybe they already have a copy of it? Also if you look through all the census entries for Richard and Phillippa, maybe there will be something to confirm if it is your Richard.

Sorry to have led you up the garden path about the Mahanoy City one - but it seems such a coincidence that his name was Richard Cox Northey and he was a miner from England!

Old 20-01-10, 11:30

Kite, no worries, I'll do some more digging around. There are a couple of trees on Ancestry and that is what confused my rellie Melissa. I was surprised she had taken what someone else said as gospel and added them to her tree on Ancestry, she doesn't usually do that. She assumed it must be correct because they had the correct parents for our Richard but I think they had taken them from previous census.
Old 20-01-10, 12:40

I've sent for thecopy of the marriage certificate of Richard and Phillippa, hopefully his father won't be John so then I can dismiss them completely. The postal date is 26th January so something to look forward too a couple of days after my ½ day in hospital on Monday.