Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 13-01-10, 16:01

Default Anybody visiting Derby RO please?

Hi Folks,

I know the weather is treacherous at present, but would any kind soul be visiting the Derby RO in the near future please?

I have a Henry Hitchcock, believed to be born in Ockbrook, Derbyshire circa 1837. There is no sign of him born in that year (the 1st two quarters unavailable on any BMD lists). Somebody many moons ago looked at the birth register, but couldn't find any reference to him.

I wondered if anybody is perhaps thinking of visiting the RO that they could look for the baptism of dear Henry Hitchcock. I believe his parents were James Hitchcock and Mary Stevens, but gleaned that from the IGI and as we all know that record site is not infallible LOL!

Many thanks,

Chris
Old 13-01-10, 16:59
Administrator

Quote:
There is no sign of him born in that year (the 1st two quarters unavailable on any BMD lists).
That's because civil reg didn't begin until 1st July 1837!

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 13-01-10, 17:07
Administrator

He's 4 on the 1841 census, so born before the start of civil registration.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 13-01-10, 17:53

Derby record office is at Matlock, bit too far away for me. I can manage Derby Local Studies when the weather is better. They do hold some parish registers there on film. Maybe you could phone or email and enquire if they have them?

25b Irongate, Derby DE1 3GL
01332 255393
[email protected]
Old 13-01-10, 17:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissiebee View Post
Hi Folks,

I know the weather is treacherous at present, but would any kind soul be visiting the Derby RO in the near future please?

I have a Henry Hitchcock, believed to be born in Ockbrook, Derbyshire circa 1837. There is no sign of him born in that year (the 1st two quarters unavailable on any BMD lists). Somebody many moons ago looked at the birth register, but couldn't find any reference to him.

I wondered if anybody is perhaps thinking of visiting the RO that they could look for the baptism of dear Henry Hitchcock. I believe his parents were James Hitchcock and Mary Stevens, but gleaned that from the IGI and as we all know that record site is not infallible LOL!

Many thanks,

Chris
I can't find that on the IGI?
Old 14-01-10, 10:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry View Post
That's because civil reg didn't begin until 1st July 1837!
Umm! Yes, of course - silly me.................!

Chris
Old 14-01-10, 11:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret in Burton View Post
Derby record office is at Matlock, bit too far away for me. I can manage Derby Local Studies when the weather is better. They do hold some parish registers there on film. Maybe you could phone or email and enquire if they have them?

25b Irongate, Derby DE1 3GL
01332 255393
[email protected]
I tried emailing them, but my messages just won't get through for some reason. I think I shall just get on the blower - or send up a carrier pigeon perhaps LOL! Many thanks for your help.

Chris
Old 14-01-10, 12:45

Just looked up the Derby RO site and this is what they hold for Ockbrook, first set of figures are original registers, second set are on microfilm

OCKBROOK, All Saints (D2000) bp 1643-1980 bp 1643-1961
Includes Borrowash.

If you get no joy from the local studies library, try them, they always answer my queries the next day.

http://www.derbyshire.gov.uk/leisure/record_office/

My avatar is Gertrude Fletcher my grandmother. (1879-1945)
Old 14-01-10, 15:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gert in Oz View Post
Just looked up the Derby RO site and this is what they hold for Ockbrook, first set of figures are original registers, second set are on microfilm

Includes Borrowash.

If you get no joy from the local studies library, try them, they always answer my queries the next day.

I have just tried that, Sylvia, but have had the same problem that I had with the website that Marg gave me. It must be my computer which won't allow these emails for some unknown reason? I am a complete technophobe with these gizmos, but both times I tried emailing via Outlook Express and the other one (?) I got the same response. I think I shall just phone them, and hopefully have more joy!

Having looked at the PDF form for a researcher at the Leisure/Record Office and nearly had a heart attack when it was quoted at £30 per half hour! I think not..................

Many thanks anyway,

Chris
Old 15-01-10, 09:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gert in Oz View Post

Includes Borrowash.

I have just typed out a letter to the Derbyshire RO and am sending it 'snail-mail' - will let everyone know if I get a result!

Many thanks - Chris