Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 13-07-20, 03:14

Default Bristol Will

I have just gone through my tree again and realised I never got a reply when I contacted somewhere.....I think Bristol Archives, about Elizabeth Taylor’s will.

Elizabeth Ariel, b 1752, married Joshua Taylor.
She died 1850....aged 98. I want to buy the will that is on the Bristol Will Index. I’m on my way out but look back later. Thanks.

Last edited by HarrysMum; 13-07-20 at 04:43.
Old 13-07-20, 07:26
Administrator

I think there could be a problem:

https://www.bristolmuseums.org.uk/bristol-archives/

I don't think there is another way to get a copy. I'm not surprised they are closed to the public, but I am surprised if there is no one working there at all.

The index is here:

http://archives.bristol.gov.uk/Willsindex.aspx

and then click 'contact us' under 'Viewing and copying'. Looks like they can email it to you, so just the issue of payment and whether there is anyone there to do it at the moment, or whether you will have to wait until September or later.

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 13-07-20, 07:43
Administrator

I just read an old thread and ten years ago we didn't actually know that the 1850 will was definitely for your Elizabeth Taylor:

http://www.genealogistsforum.co.uk/F...9&postcount=58

The Executor was George E Taylor.

http://www.genealogistsforum.co.uk/F...2&postcount=64

Perhaps we need to try and work out who he was?

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 13-07-20, 08:06
Administrator

This might be his death (though the name is hugely common, there are a lot less with a middle name born early enough to be likely to be an executor in 1850):

TAYLOR, GEORGE EDWARD 57
GRO Reference: 1855 M Quarter in BRISTOL Volume 06A Page 62

There's a burial for this man on Ancestry and it has his address as College Green Bristol. (buried at Wycliffe Church, Totterdown, so not non-con by the look of it - makes me wonder if this is the right George!).

Needless to say, there's no George Taylor at College Green in 1851!!

There's a George Edward Taylor marrying an Elizabeth Taylor in Bristol in 1836! lol

Old 13-07-20, 08:10
Administrator

Hmmm.... that marriage is for a bachelor and widow and the witnesses (Sarah Taylor and John Taylor) made their marks, so doesn't sound up-market enough for the Ariel etc tree.

Old 13-07-20, 08:15
Administrator

Oh, he is at College Green in 1841!

George Taylor 40 attorney Born County? Yes
Elizabeth Taylor 50 Yes
Matilda Brown 9 Yes

So, as he is an attorney, he might not even be a relative of Elizabeth Taylor who died aged 98, just a business acquaintance!

Old 13-07-20, 08:18

We didn’t ever work out if that Liz was mine. I have mine marrying Joshua Taylor and I know there was a daughter Sarah. I will have to revisit that part of the tree but somehow believe a son popped up unexpectedly........I think that was through wills of Liz’s sibling/s.

I know my Luz died in 1850 aged 98 as there is a story in The Gentleman’s Magazine about her.
Old 13-07-20, 10:14
Administrator

Here's info on the children of Joshua and Elizabeth Taylor nee Ariel:

http://www.genealogistsforum.co.uk/F...14&postcount=8

I used to have a hand-drawn image of the tree including this part, but I don't think I still have it.

Old 13-07-20, 10:27
Administrator

If you click the link in post #8 and then click the link in it (top right corner) to take you to the original thread, the posts before that one explain a bit more.

Old 13-07-20, 15:03
Administrator

If Joshua and Elizabeth were married in 1775 and had three children that we are aware of, it would be helpful to know when they were born. I'm wondering if you have any idea of the dates as the only one I remember was Joshua who married in 1800 and from his death (1818?) we commented that would make him about 18 at the marriage which seemed young, so we thought maybe his age at death was a little out. If we say he was born about 1780, then maybe the other two were older? I just looked at Sarah in 1841 and it says 56 which is younger than Joshua but I don't know how accurate that is. I have no idea about Elizabeth (Gray).

The reason I'm wondering is because I saw this burial and wondered if it could possibly be for Elizabeth's husband:

Bristol, Broad Mead (Baptist), 1746-1791

July 6th (or 10th) 1780 Mr Joshua Taylor Wife a member

a separate entry (different book) says:

6 July 1780 Mr Joshua Taylor. His wife a member. Interred 17th (?) from North Wall 4 from East

No will that I can see at the moment.

Obviously if this is him then Sarah needs to be older!