Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > DNA Questions

Old 24-11-19, 18:48

Default Why is it always the way?

I have a DNA match. I find a genealogical link. But there is a mutual DNA link with the other side of the family.

I am being driven distracted by the number of times this is happening.

I do have ancestors from both sides who happen to live in the same village in the 1800s, but (so far as I can tell) the link is not there.

Are the rest of you finding this?
Old 24-11-19, 19:09
Administrator

I usually check shared matches first when looking at a match, so I probably wouldn't get as far as finding a link between trees on a different line if shared matches have already pointed me in a certain direction.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 24-11-19, 20:50

In the latest instance, I had location matches I was checking.

I am colour coding matches, and note which side of the family, and have found

A links to me and maternal side, so I note it.
B links to me and A so I check maternal side and any link is presumably under 6 cM but they do link to paternal side.

I am working my way through ALL my matches, to see if I can resolve the mystery close matches.
Old 25-11-19, 07:57
Administrator

Yep, that's happening here! Not so much with me, but with OH and his daughter who have both tested. I thought separating out her results into her maternal and paternal line would be straightforward (Ancestry does it for you when a parent has also tested!), but there are people crossing the line when there's no reason for it geographically. None of these matches (four of them) has a tree or even a real name to work with, so every time come back to it I get as confused as the previous time! They don't seem to be related to each other, just to OH and also his ex and in each case only have shared matches with a small number of people (maybe between 1 and 3 people). Everyone confusing me is in the 4-6cousin bracket.

I know there is more of the same in OH's line where people from Ireland are apparently related to people from Huntingdonshire (that's one example) when I'm sure they shouldn't be!

I say "not so much with me", but I think the same issues are probably there, just that my side is too overwhelming to get to grips with at all, that I probably just haven't noticed the problem yet having concentrated more on OH's side.

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 26-11-19, 06:58

We have only one match who definitely matches with both parts of the family.

AD shares matches with my daughter and my niece (sister's daughter) but also shares a match with a person with a common ancestor on OH's side.

I can work out the common family on OH's side from the other shared matches he has, and I think I know where he could link to our side but his tree has only 3 people, so it might take a bit of work.

OH's side matches family in Somerset, in ours its either Cambridgeshire or Scotland.