Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 05-02-15, 13:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiterunner View Post
A couple of possible baptisms for Samuel:
Samuel Thaire baptised 17 Feb 1678 St Dunstan Stepney, son of Samuel and Ann - but there is a Samuel Thare, son of Anne, buried 4 May 1683.
Samuel Thyer baptised 14 Dec 1675 Christ Church Greyfriars Newgate, son of Samuel and Hannah - but he has brothers Humphrey, John, Thomas, so is the son of the Samuel whose will was proved 1721 and you would think he would mention his brothers in his will, so probably not this one either!
I'm thinking that the Samuel/Humphrey/John/Thomas line is going to be related in some way, especially with the Greyfriars connection. They are Citizens & Skinners (although actually apothecaries) and tend to sign their name as Thayer.

The Stepney one is interesting. The father was a scrivener and the mother was Anne Summers, a widow. They married in 1677 and that would potentially put Samuel in the same sort of age range as Giles senior. That baptism and burial is the only child I've found for the couple. That makes him a candidate to be the chap who wrote the 1725 will, especially as his kinswoman Elizabeth Flower is in Stepney.
Old 05-02-15, 13:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiterunner View Post
A site called Connected Histories has an entry from May 1644 "17. 133. Petition of Giles Theyer to the Committees for the Parliament. That he being possessor of a team in Beckenham was obliged to disburse 5 l . 3 s . 4 d . to redeem his team of horses,"
The full story from Mocavo....

May 17. 133. Petition of Giles Theyer to the Committees for the Par-
liament. That he being possessor of a team in Beckenham
was obliged to disburse 51. 3s. 4d. to redeem his team of horses,
they being seized for non-payment of the l0d. tax levied on that
parish; the deficiency was caused by inability to collect the sum
assessed on Dr. Skynner, late rector of that parish, who was then
under sequestration. Older having been passed by the Committee
that money disbursed for taxes unpaid of lands in sequestration shall
be allowed out of the rents from the tenants, or upon account by the
Treasurer of Sequestrations. Petitioner being a poor man prays
that order may be taken for repayment to him of the said sum,
which he cannot afford to lose. Underwritten,
133. I. Ordered that Daniel Shetterden shall repay the money
advanced by Giles Theyer. Dorso,
133. II. Receipt by Giles Theyer for 51. 3s. 4d. received of Daniel
Shetterden. 18th May 1644.
133. III. Ordered, that as the above-named sum was omitted to be
allowed to Mr. Shetterden upon the passing of his former
sequestration accounts, the same be allowed to him out of
such sequestration money as is now in his hands.

I rather like that. He must be too old to be Giles senior, so possibly his father.
Old 05-02-15, 20:09

I've tried a bit harder to identify Elizabeth Flower tonight. On the assumption that being in Stepney, there's a good chance that there would be some trace of her at St Dunstan's and looking for someone with a daughter who appears to survive and a husband who doesn't, I have two candidates:

George Flower m. Elizabeth Nutkins 1683 in Bermondsey (all other events at St Dunstan's)
Daughter Grace bapt. 1685
Son Giles bapt. 1686/7
George bur. 1704/5 - musical instrument maker of Ratcliffe

Joseph Flower m. Elizabeth Nichols 1694
Son John bapt. 1695/6
Daughter Elizabeth bapt. 1698/9
Joseph bur. 1710 - weaver of Spitalfields (apprentice indenture says he is son of John from Wiltshire - placename looks like Axon)

Still none the wiser which it is or if she's the one with the 1747 will.
Old 08-02-15, 11:18

I got a bit over-excited yesterday, but I did look this up:

William Moore of Greenwich, widower married
Mary Theyer of this parish, spinster after banns.

They could both sign their names and the witnesses were

John Hugget and Sarah Theyer - who could also sign their names.
Old 08-02-15, 14:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
I got a bit over-excited yesterday, but I did look this up:

William Moore of Greenwich, widower married
Mary Theyer of this parish, spinster after banns.

They could both sign their names and the witnesses were

John Hugget and Sarah Theyer - who could also sign their names.
Thank you so much Giles had a daughter Mary and an apprentice William Moor and his wife at the time of this marriage was Sarah, so that's a result !!
Old 14-06-20, 15:37

Default Giles Thayer

Hi Rick we have some burial records for a few generations of Thayers in Beckenham of Thayers Farm which they may have owned or rented from a larger landowner.
also see www.beckenhamplaceparkfriends.org.uk follow history links for Beckenham. The page is regularly updated. I recently came across the Giles apprenticed to be a joiner etc.
The beckenham burials have been transcribed by other parties. The link to Flower may be the Flower family of Flower House, Southend, Lewisham and there may be a link to the Valentine family through Valentine Thayer. We have about 4 different ways of spelling the name as well including Gilles Thaires who married in Chiselhurst to a Katherine Rutledge which may well be connected.
Old 15-07-20, 15:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by threesheds View Post
Hi Rick we have some burial records for a few generations of Thayers in Beckenham of Thayers Farm which they may have owned or rented from a larger landowner.
also see www.beckenhamplaceparkfriends.org.uk follow history links for Beckenham. The page is regularly updated. I recently came across the Giles apprenticed to be a joiner etc.
The beckenham burials have been transcribed by other parties. The link to Flower may be the Flower family of Flower House, Southend, Lewisham and there may be a link to the Valentine family through Valentine Thayer. We have about 4 different ways of spelling the name as well including Gilles Thaires who married in Chiselhurst to a Katherine Rutledge which may well be connected.
Thanks for this. I did stumble across the burials a couple of days ago and I'm trying to piece them together. It's surprising just how many Giles Theyers there were and I've encountered lots of spelling variations for the surname too!