Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 06-11-12, 23:42
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shona View Post

And now I have a name. Thank you again.
You would need to confirm the surname by viewing the census image or some other way.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 06-11-12, 23:52

*Gets out debit card to buy SP credits*
Old 07-11-12, 13:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
Interesting menu, too - a starter of Ratief F Farm Schl Campt Bake, followed by Spargh Tom and finished off with Suphatert of son
J P V Farmer Of 180 Acres Arom Oleland & Schasine Of The Gragon Of From 1 To 2 Thousano Shelp Employing From 8 Ser To 1500 Acres Outs & Laborers

This morsel is from one of my OH's Skye lot.
Old 12-07-20, 19:41

I know this thread is from many years ago, but if the original posters are still around I can identify the little boy with some certainty.

He was Alexander Clark, born c1843 in Georgetown, British Guiana, and he is still at Barr School in the 1861 census, boarding with the schoolmaster, William Conner.

He married in 1864 in Kilmarnock, which gave his parents as Duncan Clark, wood cutter (deceased) and Cecilia Clark nee Hutton (deceased).

The reason I am sure he is the black boy in 1859 is that one of Alexander's sons was Willie Clark(e), who was one of the earliest black footballers, playing in the early 1900s with Bristol Rovers, Aston Villa, Bradford City and others.

What I haven't been able to do is establish the identities of Alexander's parents. I am guessing that his father, Duncan Clark, was white as there was a recruitment drive for wood cutters to go to British Guiana in the 1840s, and Cecilia Hutton was native Guyanese.

Curiously, one of the previous schoolmasters at Barr School was the Rev Duncan Clark, but he died in Scotland in 1850 and I can be pretty sure he was not the father. Possibly a relative of his, though.

If anyone can shed any light on Alexander's father or mother I would appreciate it.
Old 12-07-20, 22:40
Administrator

I found this in the London Gazette, by Googling:

PURSUANT to authority granted by His Honor the Chief Justice of British Guiana, dated the 13th day of May, 1853,
I, the Undersigned, Provost-Marshal of British Guiana, in the name and behalf of Alexander Cunninghame, an inhabitant of the county of Demeray, in the colony of British Guiana, in quality as sole surviving executor to the last will and testament of Duncan Clark, deceased, do hereby cite, by Edict, all known and unknown creditors, European as well as Colonial, of the said Duncan Clark, deceased, to appear before the Honourable the Supreme Court of Civil Justice of British Guiana, at the Registrar's Office for the counties of Demerary and Essequebo, in the Public Buildings, in the city of Georgetown, in the colony aforesaid, and there file their claims, properly substantiated and in due form, within the period of one month after notice by me in the Official Gazette of the colony, of the publication of this Edict, in the London Gazette, on pain, in default thereof, as the Law directs.
Marshal's Office, Demerary and Essequebo, this 21st day of May, 1853.
W. H. HOLMES, Provost-Marshal.
N.B. - This being the First Publication.

Old 13-07-20, 11:17

Thanks for that. It could be the correct Duncan Clark but of course it is one of those frustrating mentions of a name that has no further information!
Old 13-07-20, 16:13
Administrator

You might like to try the Guyana / British Guiana Genealogical Society. They have a forum included on their website and maybe someone on there can help. There are various transcriptions on the website too, but I couldn't find a mention of Duncan Clark or his wife in those.

https://gbggs.org/