Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > DNA Questions

Old 21-10-19, 14:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggie_4_7 View Post

I know you know this but Protestant refugees from Flanders and Spanish Netherlands first settled in Norfolk, Norwich to be precise in 1565 they were called the Elizabethan Strangers and the Huguenots in 1680s.

Of course whether anyone would still be able to determine their DNA I don't know.
Well, they have all changed flags now, and become Norweigan! My aunt has gained some Germanic heritage (which neither sib's child nor I have inherited) while my cousin, who genuinely should have some, is now pure UK.

I was quite happy with a dash of French Ancestry - as Maggie says, there was a fair bit of channel hopping, with doubtless the odd Hanseatic League merchant settling in Norwich. My Bangays are, in some early records, spelled Banget, while Skillings seems a commoner surname in the Netherlands. Meanwhile, it is suggested that my Daglas roots were actually Scottish.
Old 21-10-19, 14:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizabethHerts View Post
Mine:

England, Wales & Northwestern Europe 100%

Yorkshire & East Midlands, England
West Yorkshire & Southern North Yorkshire
Additional Communities
North East Scotland & the Northern Isles
From your regions: England, Wales & Northwestern Europe
Banff & Buchan
Moray & Gordon

No mention of Cornwall, Devon, Dorset, Hampshire, Sussex, Surrey, Buckinghamshire, Oxfordshire etc!
The map does highlight the northern part of Brittany (and no other part of France), so this is probably a nod to my Cornish heritage.
Old 21-10-19, 15:38

Well they have located my small amount of Irish heritage (a couple of 5xgt grandfathers) but still no French DNA that I had expected due to a couple of Huguenot lines... Sister has gained another 1% of Jewishness.
Old 21-10-19, 15:40

My sons DNA has gone from 79% Scots/Irish (inline with my research) to 61% which doesn't fit in with my research.
Old 22-10-19, 16:44
maggie_4_7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
Well, they have all changed flags now, and become Norweigan! My aunt has gained some Germanic heritage (which neither sib's child nor I have inherited) while my cousin, who genuinely should have some, is now pure UK.

I was quite happy with a dash of French Ancestry - as Maggie says, there was a fair bit of channel hopping, with doubtless the odd Hanseatic League merchant settling in Norwich. My Bangays are, in some early records, spelled Banget, while Skillings seems a commoner surname in the Netherlands. Meanwhile, it is suggested that my Daglas roots were actually Scottish.
I would expect anyone with ancestors along the east coast from Scotland to maybe Harwich, Essex to have some Scandinavian, Flanders and the Netherlands in there. More inland not so much although London is a different case.

Looking at my 4th cousins and closer DNA matches the most descendents with the new Norway DNA seems to be my English side which surprised me to be honest, a few on the Scottish side but I haven't really done a good check to make a judgement.

Obviously I don't put too much store by it but it is interesting.

Last edited by maggie_4_7; 22-10-19 at 16:58.