Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Family History General Discussion

Old 15-02-14, 22:30

Well James is doing my head in. I found a transcription of his death in 1878, 3 years after his wife dies a widow, but could not find it anywhere on the new FMP records so I asked a contact if he could check the library when he went next. James is a mutual ancestor.

James married 1829 and had children at regular intervals until 1855. His marriage and every child's baptism states his name and that he was a drummer in the 68th regiment so it is easy to identify him. Nothing changed in 26 years. Until I remembered the transcription it was always assumed he died in the mutiny.

Well the transcription I found was wrong, very, very wrong.

It shows James, drummer, 68th regiment died in 1828, a year BEFORE his marriage.

I am now really hoping that it was James Snr that died as I don't have any dates of birth for my James, nor parents names.
Old 16-02-14, 10:56

It looks like it was James Snr who died. Another family member has written a book on the family. She is on facebook so I have sent her a message to see if we can chat as she has more details that are in the book.

Taking a leap of faith and believing what she has written, I have found the family James descends from, although I don't know which one of 4 brothers is his father. But it looks like they all did very well for themselves.

James does not look to have shared in the wealth though as the men apparently had harems and he is a product or descendant of that and the 4 brothers all left India and either returned home or went to the USA.
Old 16-02-14, 13:16

What an interesting story, Toni. I can't wait for the next episode!

Janet (Niagara)