Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 09-04-19, 16:36
Administrator

The witnesses' names might possibly help as they could be relatives, but of course they might be no help at all. Are you able to get to Leicestershire Archives to look at records there, or is it far away from you?

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 09-04-19, 16:47
Administrator

The marriage entry is on FMP.....

The witnesses are John Shenton and Bryan Moore (possibly a serial witness)

Other details are: both otp, banns, both made mark, witnesses both signed, 26 Dec 1780 at Chapelry of Mountsorrel. Marriage celebrated by John Simpson, curate.

The register is very neatly completed.

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 09-04-19, 16:58
Administrator

I think the Chapelry of Mountsorrel was/is in the parish of Barrow upon Soar.

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 09-04-19, 17:20
Administrator

Well, there is a John Shenton / Elenor Talor marriage 25 Sep 1737 at Lutterworth, but could well just be a coincidence since Taylor is such a common name and since Lutterworth isn't particularly near to Mountsorrel. But there is the burial of an Eleanor Shenton, wife of John, 19 Jul 1777 at Mountsorrel, so that makes it more likely the marriage is relevant.

Old 09-04-19, 17:24
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacktaylor View Post
Hi,no i couldnt find any other children with the fathers name John around the same time,there is another family in Mountsorrel with Parents John and Ann but they have a differnet John who was born in 1765
Mountsorrel baptisms with father named John, 1734-1774:

William 1735 John and Ann

Richard 1738 John and Ann

John 1754 John

Have you looked at other nearly parishes to see if you can find any other baptisms that might fit the gap between 1738 and 1754?

The 1765 (19 Nov) baptism you mentioned is for John the son of William and Ann Taylor, not the son of John and Ann Taylor. (at least, that's the only match I could find in 1765)

Old 09-04-19, 17:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiterunner View Post
The witnesses' names might possibly help as they could be relatives, but of course they might be no help at all. Are you able to get to Leicestershire Archives to look at records there, or is it far away from you?
hi yes ive been in Spain for a few years now but i will have to get myself up there next time im over
Old 09-04-19, 17:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry View Post
The marriage entry is on FMP.....

The witnesses are John Shenton and Bryan Moore (possibly a serial witness)

Other details are: both otp, banns, both made mark, witnesses both signed, 26 Dec 1780 at Chapelry of Mountsorrel. Marriage celebrated by John Simpson, curate.

The register is very neatly completed.
thank you merry,thats interesting and something i hadnt seen before
Old 09-04-19, 17:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry View Post
Mountsorrel baptisms with father named John, 1734-1774:

William 1735 John and Ann

Richard 1738 John and Ann

John 1754 John

Have you looked at other nearly parishes to see if you can find any other baptisms that might fit the gap between 1738 and 1754?

The 1765 (19 Nov) baptism you mentioned is for John the son of William and Ann Taylor, not the son of John and Ann Taylor. (at least, that's the only match I could find in 1765)
yes thats right son of William,i got muddled up.he would have been grandson of John and Ann
It would be nice if they where the parents i was looking for -John Taylor and Ann Jarratt but i was put off by the gap in birth years.
I have looked through lots of nearby parish records and they are the closest that i have came across
Old 09-04-19, 17:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiterunner View Post
Well, there is a John Shenton / Elenor Talor marriage 25 Sep 1737 at Lutterworth, but could well just be a coincidence since Taylor is such a common name and since Lutterworth isn't particularly near to Mountsorrel. But there is the burial of an Eleanor Shenton, wife of John, 19 Jul 1777 at Mountsorrel, so that makes it more likely the marriage is relevant.
thank you i will look her up
Old 09-04-19, 18:23
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacktaylor View Post
yes thats right son of William,i got muddled up.he would have been grandson of John and Ann
It would be nice if they where the parents i was looking for -John Taylor and Ann Jarratt but i was put off by the gap in birth years.
I have looked through lots of nearby parish records and they are the closest that i have came across
The John who was husband of Ann, and father of William and Richard, could be the one who died in 1743, since Elizabeth said his admon named Ann Taylor, widow (post #7 above).