Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 13-03-19, 20:19

Kiterunner and crawfie , your are marvellous ??????
Old 13-03-19, 20:21

The question marks was emojis .
Old 13-03-19, 21:21

I had a quick look on the 10-year indexes for birth - for the Alcouffe name between 1863-1872 there are 7 entries, 1873-1882 17 entries and 1883-1892 12 entries, so probably a few of them are for the same parents. As Victoire was 40 when Francois was born I don't think she would have had many more afterward.

Unfortunately I don't have the time to look any further tonight, as we are off at 5 in the morning tomorrow and I still need to pack! Will be back in 3 days, so can have a look then!
Old 14-03-19, 06:15

No problem thanks for all your help have a good weekend
Old 15-03-19, 05:28

Hi , crawfie I think Francois was in America at the time of his recruitment . I remember I'd seen it somewhere . It said home at time of recruitment amerique . Thanks
Old 15-03-19, 06:35

At the bottom of military paper it does say firstly complete amnesty from exercise . Then next it says scatters abroad . I know Francois was married in Kampala in 1912 .. It also says he was given amnesty by law 1904 i don't know if the French were conscripted , if they were I think he was residing in America . And maybe they thought that as trying to evade conscription ,it's difficult to translate all the French because of the italic writing . He could have had relatives in America as I noticed on past searching ,a few alcouffes had left and where living in America . It's not for definite , but he could have gone to visit them and had to be conscripted from there .
Old 18-03-19, 15:26

Have now managed to have a look through the registers and have some more info. First of all, apologies as I made a mistake in Francois mothers name, it was Victoire Julienne Boutonnet. She was born on 21 Jun 1835 in Les Cazelles,(La Fouillade district, Aveyron Departement) parents Joseph Boutonnet and Marie Amans. She died on 2 Jul 1903 in Villefranche. Interesting note, on both her marriage and her death record her occupation is stated to be Marchande - merchant.

Francois father was also Francois, born 21 Dec 1843 in Puechemignon (also La Fouillade) parents Jerome Alcouffe and Jeanne Marty. I haven't yet found a death for him. He was still alive when Victoire died.

As far as I can see, they had 5 other children:

Marie Julie, born 17/4/1871, married Edmond Frains Cabet 1/6/1898 in Villefranche.
Julien Francois born 28/2/1873
Irma Julienne born 28/4/1874
Louis Germain born 2/2/1877
Adrien Louis born 11/12/1879.

The French records are very informative, and practically identical in format to Dutch records (which I have used a lot) as both come from formats put in place in the Napoleonic era. Do you want me to see if I can find out anything more on parents, and/or siblings?
Old 19-03-19, 05:39

Hi , crawfie thanks So much for doing that , I have been stuck for so long looking for Francois Marcel. Alcouffe We do know that Francois had a sister , where they where born , etc fathers name , so you have given us a great gift of knowing where they came from . Any kind of info you can find would be great any census of them if there are any as we will be visiting the area in June and would like to see if we can find graves etc At some stage . Francois either in the military or not ended up in east Africa . That's where my husbands grandmother met him , we think he was already married to a Leona guillon in Kampala in 1912 . Anything you can uncover would be fantastic .thanks so much
Old 19-03-19, 05:45

Hi crawfie , if Julien Alcouffe is Francois brother , I've seen a emigration of a julien Alcouffe to America , and he settled in California where the family had a vineyard . could this be his brother ? Thanks
Old 19-03-19, 07:13

Any past history of the family would be great did they all remain in Aveyron , except for Francois . Yes I find that victoires occupation merchant interesting as it say Francois father s occupation on marriage certificate in Kampala is a merchant . Wonder what they sold ? Etc