Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 04-04-19, 04:27
Administrator

Frederick jnr getting the estate kind of confirms that he was leading a double life, as the law stationer certainly did not have a son called Frederick with the wife he appears with most often!

I don't suppose you have stumbled over any possible marriages? I have tried so hard to find marriages to a wife called Champion and one called Warner.

And then there is the coincidence of Frederick the law stationer probate to Benjamin Warner who was likely born Bethnal Green, and the mothers maiden name of all the children being Warner, and Harriet the mother being born Bethnal Green.

I don't really believe in such coincidences...….

When we have passed a certain age, the soul of the child we were
and the souls of the dead from whom we have sprung come to lavish on us their riches and their spells
(Marcel Proust)

Christine
Old 04-04-19, 05:02
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiterunner View Post
If you have access to the British Newspaper Archive, search for Frederick Chifferiel and some matches come up which refer to a chancery case concerning his estate, Chifferiel v Watson. Also if you search for "Chifferiel v Watson", more matches come up. I haven't got a sub to that site or to FMP at the moment to view the full entries.

But there is a report of it in this book:
https://archive.org/details/lawtimes...urgoog/page/n6

Just trying to find the right page as it is difficult to read it in the format that Google initially sends you to.

Edit - image no 76 and images 130-1.

From my access to the newspapers all of the hits just seem to refer to an ongoing case and just say Chifferiel v Watson and no information.
The FMP hits are notices about the sale of property pursuant to the judgement, and as the newspapers are still referring to Chifferiel v Watson in 1896, I doubt it happened in a hurry!

and the souls of the dead from whom we have sprung come to lavish on us their riches and their spells
(Marcel Proust)

Christine
Old 04-04-19, 05:14
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiterunner View Post
Hmm, he doesn't actually seem to say in the quoted part of the will that Frederick Chifferiel of Upton, Essex, is his son. Presumably the full will (plus the two codicils) would have more info. But considering that he left him the estate in Surrey, it certainly fits.
Before the will mentions Frederick Chiveriel by name, it does refer to: F C his eldest son.
He has no son on any census except Frederick, if that really is Fred snr posing as a commercial traveler with Harriet in 1871.

I imagine if you need to duck off and spend time with another family, posing as a commercial traveler is a good way to explain prolonged absences from home!

Fred jnr went off to live in America in about 1897 I think, and does not seem to have any employment on the USA census, maybe he did not need to work!

(Marcel Proust)

Christine