Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 03-07-14, 12:26

That's a sad read Shona Knowing my greatx3 grandfather was one of those men is quite upsetting. Didn't have a great start to adulthood, in war and then possibly a prisoner of war in Turkey before arriving here to this. Hard to think I wouldn't exist if he had been forcibly moved on to America.
Old 03-07-14, 21:42
tenterfieldjulie

You could consider this though Claire. If he stayed in Poland he would have been lucky to survive the nightmares of WWII. I have a friend whose parents were Polish and just survived the war before they emigrated to Aus. How your ancestor began in England, was luxury to what would have happened to him 100 years later if he was in Europe. He would also be delighted that how hard he fought to survive, was rewarded by the life his descendants now live in the UK. Part of my enjoyment of studying my genealogy, is appreciation of how my ancestors worked, traveled, faced tragedy and calamaties, wars etc so that I have a life with so many freedoms and opportunities. Julie
Old 04-07-14, 05:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenterfieldjulie View Post
You could consider this though Claire. If he stayed in Poland he would have been lucky to survive the nightmares of WWII. I have a friend whose parents were Polish and just survived the war before they emigrated to Aus. How your ancestor began in England, was luxury to what would have happened to him 100 years later if he was in Europe. He would also be delighted that how hard he fought to survive, was rewarded by the life his descendants now live in the UK. Part of my enjoyment of studying my genealogy, is appreciation of how my ancestors worked, traveled, faced tragedy and calamaties, wars etc so that I have a life with so many freedoms and opportunities. Julie
How very very true Julie....my father in law was born in the Ukraine - Oppressed by the Russians - fought in WW2 for the Germans against Russia - then went to Italy - was shot in Italy - came to England as a POW in 1946...died aged 40 and was never a well man ...if he hadn`t have gone through all that trauma , I would never have had my 7 beautiful grandchildren .....fact ....so you are so right in your belief....and I totally agree with you
Old 04-07-14, 06:17

Totally agree with both of you Julie & Allan.

Maurice/Maurycy became a Steelworks Manager by the time he died so he did well for himself once he arrived in Sheffield and made his life there.
Old 04-07-14, 09:05

Thank you, Claire, for sharing Maurice's story. I have found it fascinating finding out about him and the times in which he lived.

The young Galicians who volunteered to join the Polish Legion to support the Hungarians Revolution in a bid to free Hungary from the rule of the Austrian Hapsburgs come over as idealists to me - a bit like those who enlisted with the International Brigades to fight in the Spanish civil war. From what I've been reading, I don't think that the 800 who fled to the safety in Turkey after Hungary surrendered were prisoners of war.

The insight into people's attitudes towards immigrants and refugees in the 1850s is intriguing - not much different from today. Some championed their cause and wanted them to stay; others wanted them to leave.

Thank again, Claire.

I wonder if someone could translate that diary about the Polish Legion.
Old 04-07-14, 09:34

Thank you too Shona for all the help you've given with the reports etc you've found. I thought the Bielinski man had been a prisoner because of something in one of the articles about him. I may have read it wrong.

I thought the same about peoples' opinions of refugees/immigrants back then. It wasn't easy reading about the part where they brought water just to stare at them like they were some show.

I still am no closer to finding Maurice's birth/baptism but I feel thanks to the help on this thread, like I know him much more.

Thank you again
Old 04-07-14, 20:31

quote - "I still am no closer to finding Maurice's birth/baptism but I feel thanks to the help on this thread, like I know him much more. "
we all do ...a really interesting thread ....