Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Members' Direct Ancestors > Take One 2xGreat-Grandparent

Old 25-09-10, 10:47

Just a real quickie as we are on our way to London.

Just got the birth cert for Napoleon James Logsdon b 1855. Mother's name is Coralie Adrienne Wilhelmina Logsdon formerly Versigny. At least that sort of fits with her various signatures on the marriage registers.

Be back tomorrow

Sue
Old 25-09-10, 11:24
Administrator

Had you realised that Monsieur Versigny on that Ancestry Alien Arrivals list was recorded as a ship owner (armateur). I feel that could well be him with his daughter Coralie, but as they don't seem to be on the 1851 census that isn't helping much.

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 26-09-10, 12:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry View Post
Had you realised that Monsieur Versigny on that Ancestry Alien Arrivals list was recorded as a ship owner (armateur). I feel that could well be him with his daughter Coralie, but as they don't seem to be on the 1851 census that isn't helping much.
I didn't realise what an armateur was! I had thought it was probably them as well. As you have looked at that page, do you think the people below Monsieur and Mlle Versigny are also Versignys?
Old 26-09-10, 18:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry View Post

1891: 29 Regent Row, Shoreditch

Richard Webb head m 35 cabinet maker b Whitechapel
Elizabeth Webb wife m 35 b Shoreditch
Frederick Webb son 14 cabinet maker's assistant b Shoreditch
Elizabeth Webb dau 12 b Hackney
David Webb son 10 b Hackney
Alice Webb dau 9 ditto
Arthur Webb son 7 ditto
Lilly Webb dau 4 ditto
George son 3 ditto
Eliza dau 1 ditto
Coralie Scriven mother widow 57 b France British Subject

I think probably Elizabeth's brother Richard was living in her house in 1891 and there was some confusion over who the head of house was: Richard or Napoleon?!!

It has taken me ages to get my head round this! Think I've got it sorted now, but any ideas where Napoleon was, I can't find him anywhere (I know this is a bit of topic, sorry)
Old 26-09-10, 18:23

Name: Adrienne C Scriven
Death Registration Month/Year: 1917
Age at death (estimated): 82
Registration district: Hackney
Inferred County: London
Volume: 1b
Page: 517

What do you think of this for a death!!!!???????

Shall I crack open the champagne?

(Think I'll send for the cert! I will also send for her husband's death cert, I'm hoping it wasn't her that registered it as I suspect she had already taken up with William Scriven)

Last edited by Sue at the seaside; 26-09-10 at 18:30.
Old 26-09-10, 18:30
Administrator

Ooooooh, well done! I never searched with Adrienne, coz I'd forgotten about that name!

I think probably Napoleon was actually in the house and with his sharing the same occ wih Richard and then being roughly the same age (Richard actually has Napoleon's age on that census) I think there was just a huge muck up and the enumerator was completely confused. Maybe it was Coralie who gave the details??????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 02-10-10, 11:11

Just to add, The death cert has arrived, promoting more excitement!!!! I've added the main info at the beginning of the thread. It states she is the widow of William Scriven (shame she didn't marry him!!!). The address given for her is where so many of my family lived, My Grandfather, (her Grandson, I assume she was living with his family) My Grandmother (before she married) with her half sister (my great aunt) and her husband (before they married!). I'm told it was a large tenement building, which was unfortunately bombed in WWII, I've seen the green patch left in it's place!

So now, how do I looking for an inquest?
Old 02-10-10, 11:16
Administrator

Probably best to go and look at the local paper for that area for that date (if it's an evening paper) and the next few days after.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 05-12-10, 20:09

Just a little update- someone else has made contact via ancestry and has all the info we managed to find! but also has a very readable document from the port of London Authority say that Napoleon Versigny arrived with his daughter. An extremely good likely hood that this is our family bearing in mind the family link to Napoleon, which my new contact has confimed. Just need to find her in 1851 now and her mother.
Old 06-12-10, 06:11
Administrator

Quote:
Just need to find her in 1851 now and her mother.
Found her yet?

Tags
to2g27