Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Members' Direct Ancestors > Take One 4xGreat-Grandparent

Old 19-10-12, 19:00

Default Janet Mills

FFFFFM

Name - "official" name and what they were known as – Janet Mills

Date and place of birth – about 1778, probably Renfrewshire, Scotland

Names of parents - unknown

Date and place of baptism - unknown

Details of each of his or her marriages – to John Kilpatrick, 14 July 1798, Kilbarchan, Renfrew

Occupation(s) -

Addresses where they lived (including county if in UK) - and please list which censuses you have or haven't found him/her on (if s/he lived in census times!).
At least 4 children born/baptised in Renfrewshire between 1798 & 1820

1821 - The George Canning, under Captain Potter sailed April 14, 1821 and arrived at Quebec June 1, 1821, aboard were 490 Passengers. Many of them members of the ‘Bridgeton Canadian Immigration Society, 1821’ a group of Scottish weavers who were part of a government resettlement project. This group was headed by John Kilpatrick. The family settled in West half, lot 11, Con 8, Ramsay Township, Lanark, Ontario, Canada.

1851 census – Caledon, Peel County, Ontario, Canada, with son Ephraim & daughter-in-law Charlotte

Date, place and cause of death –probably in Lanark, Ontario, Canada between 1851 & 1861 census

Date and place of burial –probably in Lanark, Ontario, Canada

Details of will / administration of their estate - unknown

Memorial inscription – not found

Son George Kilpatrick

Husband John Kilpatrick

Sue at Langley Vale
Old 19-10-12, 19:33

You prob know this, but it may be of interest to others who aren't aware of the history.

Kilbarchan was once a thriving weaving community with around 800 handlooms in the village. The weavers were politcally active and were part of the Radical movement which campaigned for workers rights and the right to vote. Economic depression in the early 19th century lead to politcal unrest and agitation. Kilbarchan weavers and other weavers in the west of Scotland played an important role in the Radical War of 1820. Many of the key players in the unrest were executed.

A typical stone-built weaver's cottage, built in 1723, is owned by the National Trust for Scotland.
Old 19-10-12, 20:25

Thank you Shona.

I learnt from a distant relative that my 4xG grandfather John Kilpatrick was lucky to escape with his life, being one of the leaders of the emigration society.

I wasn't aware of weaver's cottage though. Maybe one day I'll get to Scotland to see it.

Sue at Langley Vale
Old 19-10-12, 20:36

And there's a book...

The Scottish Pioneers of Upper Canada, 1784-1855: Glengarry and Beyond, by Lucille H. Campey which mentions the Bridgeton Canadian Immigration Society.
Old 19-10-12, 20:44

On SP, I did a quick search in the OPRs for Janet (plus variants) Mills (plus variants) born in Renfrewshire between 1775 and 1785 and got one match.
Old 19-10-12, 20:59

I have seen references to that book before. There is also another one I believe about the Scottish immigrants to Canada. Almost £20 to buy from Canada and then p&p on top of that so it will have to wait! I may ask in my local library to see if they could possibly get it in for me...........well if you don't ask

I found 5 references on SP when I searched for Janet's baptism and unfortunately I can't justify getting credits just now. I'll try to gather more names of my Scottish ancestors and then maybe buy some credits.

Thanks again Shona.

Sue at Langley Vale

Tags
to4g64