Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Members' Direct Ancestors > Take One 2xGreat-Grandparent

Old 09-07-10, 09:47

Default Mary Phipps (OH's MMMM)

Name - "official" name and what they were known as: Mary Kate Phipps

Date and place of birth: 15th April 1977, Longdon, Worcestershire

Names of parents: David Phipps & Emma Mayo

Date and place of baptism: 24th June 1877, St Mary, Longdon, Worcestershire

Details of each of his or her marriages: 18th July 1896 to Samuel Hamblin at St Giles, Maisemore, Gloucestershire. Witnesses: Sydney George Smith & Evelyn Blanche Smith. Fathers: Isaac Hamblin & David Phipps.

Occupation(s): None.

Addresses where they lived (including county if in UK) - and please list which censuses you have or haven't found him/her on:
1881: Marsh Longdon, Longdon, Worcestershire (with widower father).
1891: Marsh Longdon, Longdon, Worcestshire (with father and his new wife)
1901: Maisemore, Gloucestershire (with husband and 2 children).
1911: Maisemore, Gloucestershire (with husband and 3 children).

Date, place and cause of death: Not Yet Known. The only likely death I can find that ties in with age etc is of a Mary K Hamblin who died in the December Quarter of 1963, in the district of Harrow, Greater London. This Mary K was aged 86 which would give a birth year of 1877c. My OH's tree is a little side project but I plan to get this cert at some point to check if its his missing Mary. Husband Samuel was buried at St Giles Maismore. I am wondering if one of the children moved to London and that is why she is there.

Date and place of burial / cremation: Not Yet Known
Details of will / administration of their estate - Unknown

Memorial inscription - Unknown.
Old 09-07-10, 20:47

Was her mother, Emma Mayo, from Eldersfield, Worcs, by any chance?

Old 09-07-10, 21:14

Hi Sabrina

Yes...Emma and her twin Harriet were born in Birtsmorton but the family settled in Longdon, Worcestershire.

The Mayo family are from Eldersfield.

Last edited by BlueSavannah; 10-07-10 at 07:42. Reason: changed Eldersfield to Longdon in first sentence.
Old 09-07-10, 22:33

Hi Claire

The Mayo family I researched for a friend, were all born in Eldersfield, and the Emma I found was the daughter of George and Anne/Nancy (nee Annets). So doesn't seem to be the same family - shame

Old 10-07-10, 07:41

Hi Sabrina

It is the same family, the Emma your referencing is a generation back it seems

OH's Emma and her twin Harriet were born 25th September 1848, daughters of George Mayo born Eldersfield in 1822, and Mary King, born Longdon in 1822.

George Mayo was the son of George Mayo 1795 & Nancy Annotts 1799. George & Nancy had a number of children including an Emma Mayo born 1834.
Old 10-07-10, 13:53

Oh brill - I have got George and his 11 siblings! My friend is descended from his brother Jesse. I traced the Mayo's back to John Mayo c1719 and his wife Mary Bright. I would have loved to tied them in with my Mayo family - Mary Mayo b1749 Oxenhall the daughter of Thomas Mayo c1720 who married Elizabeth Chester/Charter at Bromsberrow in 1742 - but haven't been able to as yet. [Our daughters would love to be related, however distantly!]

I have also traced the Annets family back to John Annets c1700 who married Deborah Taylor 1725 in Tewkesbury.

If you want any info just let me know. I have got a Marriage Allegation and some copies of parish register entries.

Old 11-07-10, 21:46

Hi Sabrina

Sorry for late reply, busy weekend

I think I have got both lines back to the same people you have. However, most of what I have found was online and it all needs verifying against parish records etc....not easy for me being in Manchester.

I have got a few certificates for Emma Phipps nee Mayo which I am more than happy to send copies of if you want them. I know its not the same line as Jesse but just incase you were following all the lines

Sorry to sound a little dim, but what is a marriage allegation?
Old 11-07-10, 22:11

Hi Claire

I too originally got the information online, but did go to Worcester Record Office to verify the facts and took copies of the entries. If you would like to PM me your email address I will send you copies.

The Marriage Allegation is for William Mayo and Mary Chapman married in 1776. They were married by Licence and in order to obtain the licence they were required to swear that there was no lawful impediment to their getting married. They are usually full of helpful bits of information like parishes, occupations, etc. Some MAs have bonds attached to them, saying how much money would have to be paid if the marriage did not go ahead. In their case it was £1,000.

This is a summary of the MA:
"19 Sep 1776 Appeared personally William Mayo of the Parish of Eldersfield in the County and Diocese of Worcester Thatcher and being sworn upon the holy Evangelist alledged and made oath as follows that he is of the age of twenty one years and upwards a batchelor and intends to marry Mary Chapman of the Chapelry of Queenhill in the County and Diosese aforesaid aged twenty one years and upwards spinster... Signed William Mayo. He was accompanied by Michael Hobbs of Longdon, Yeoman."

Old 12-07-10, 08:38

Hi Sabrina

I have sent you a pm.

Many Thanks

Tags
to2g17