Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Members' Direct Ancestors > Take Two 5xGreat-Grandparents

Old 16-11-13, 20:44
Administrator

Oh dear, reading about the sugar house at Topsham, it appears that they were slave owners.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 16-11-13, 21:24
Administrator

I've found this in the TNA Catalogue and requested an estimate for a digital copy:

Reference: PROB 31/606/220
Description: Exhibit: 1774/220. William Dry of Edmonton, Middlesex. Probate inventory, or declaration, of the estate of the same, deceased
Date: 1774 March

Old 17-11-13, 11:58

Have you any possible identity for the other daughter of William and Frances Dry? There aren't many Dry marriages on Ancestry- I had a look at the Elizabeth who married William Hanson but I can't see anything on them after
Old 17-11-13, 12:10
Administrator

No, I've been trying to find her but no luck so far. I don't recognise the names of any of the witnesses at that wedding - Thomas Hudson, James Buckle, Eliz Aspinall. I was thinking the other daughter might be named Mary after Frances sr's mother.

I think I might have to do a whole tree of the Hodges family and see if I can find anything that definitely connects my Frances with them. And hope that the William Dry probate inventory doesn't cost the earth and comes up with something!

Old 18-11-13, 15:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiterunner View Post
Oh dear, reading about the sugar house at Topsham, it appears that they were slave owners.

The Sugar House was in Countess Wear...

In 1684, a sugar-house was also built further down the river, with hogshead of sugar unloaded by crane from lighters. Samuel Buttall, the owner of a slave plantation in South Carolina, opened the factory and later took his sons, Benjamin and John into partnership. His brother, Charles Buttall also supplied the factory from his slave plantation in Barbados. Samuel Buttall died in 1723 and his son-in-law, Sir Nathaniel Hodges took a half share in the business during 1725. In 1744, Sir Nathaniel's wife, Lady Hodges sold the works as instructed by his will.

The sugar-house was demolished and Retreat House built on the site at the end of the 18th century.
Old 18-11-13, 15:38

Will of Samuel Buttall.

BUTTALL, Samuel - Will - summary of PRO PROB 11/594, 1723
In the Name of God Amen. I Samuel Buttall of Topsham near Exon in the County of Devon Sugar Baker...

* To his wife Mary Buttall for her sole use £1500 including therein the £500 left her in a legacy by Mrs Wood her late mother deceased; and also all his plate household goods furniture belonging to their dwelling house at Topsham.

* To his wife Mary Buttall during her natural life his dwelling house and also his sugarhouse and the lands outhouses orchards gardens enjoyed with the said sugarhouse, and also the distilling house lodge house and gardens all lying in Topsham; and after her decease he gives one moiety of the above to his son Benjamin Buttall his heirs and assigns for ever and the other moiety thereof to his son John Buttall his heirs and assigns for ever.

* To his wife Mary Buttall all the goods utensils and implements belonging to the sugarhouse and distilling house and the yearly rent of £100 payable for the sugarhouse for her natural life; and after her decease to his sons Benjamin Buttal and John Buttall equally.

* To his wife Mary Buttall his field house and gardens in Plymouth, Devon, for her natural life; and after her decease to his son Humphrey Buttall his heirs and assigns in accordance with the articles of settlement made on the marriage of his son Humphrey Buttall and his now wife Sarah.

* On 8 Sep 1712 he and his son Humphrey Buttall entered into copartnership for the carrying on and managing the trade of refining sugar and distilling spirits at the sugarhouse at Cockside in Plymouth where his son Humphrey Buttall dwells, and of which £4000 was advanced by each of them. He gives to his wife Mary Buttall the use of his said moiety of £4000 and all the profits produce and increase thereof for her natural life, with her bearing and sustaining one moiety of the lease and bad debt in the joint trade for her natural life.

* On 1 Apr 1718 he entered into copartnership with his two sons Bejamin Buttall and Charles Buttall for the carrying on and managing the trade of refining sugar and distilling spirits at the sugarhouse and distilling house at Topsham, for which the sum of £5784 was advanced as such ... £2100 by him, £2109 by son Benjamin Buttall, £1575 by son Charles Buttall. He gives to his wife Mary Buttall his part and interest in the said sum of £5784 for her natural life, with her bearing and sustaining his part in the lease and disadvantages in like manner and proportion.

* To his wife Mary Buttall the 1000 acres of land in Carolina adjoining the Edisto River and registered in the records of Carolina, and lying about 7 miles from the town called New London for her natural life and empowers her to sell all or part of it as she thinks fit or to devise it to one or more of her children who she finds most dutiful and obedient to her.

* To his son Charles Buttall the remainder of his interest in a long lease of ninety nine years in certain lands houses orchards and gardens which were give to him in the will of the late George Buttall lying in Wrexham Wales, providing his son Charles Buttall pays the annual rents and profits thereof to his ancient sister Abigail Owen as long as she lives and also pays his cousin Joshua Buttall 20s a year for life to look after and take care of the properties in Wales keeping then tenentable and in good repair.

* To his niece Dorcas Jackson, the wife of Abraham Jackson of Moreton in Devon, all the money her husband owed him upon bond and all the interest thereof and wills that the bond be cancelled.

* To his sons and daughters and sons and daughters in law £5 each for mourning.

* To all his grandchildren one guinea each.

* To his cousin Thomas Green and his wife £5 each for mourning and requests that Mr Green assists his executrix with his will.

* To Samuel Owen and Sarah Mortimer his two old servants £5 each.

* To the poor of Topsham £5 to be shared amongst them.

* All the rest and residue of his goods and chattels and personal and testamentary estate to his wife Mary Buttall who he nominates as his sole executrix on purpose to oblige all of his children to pay unto their mother that obedience respect and honour that is due to her. And after her death, all those legacies etc given to her shall pass, if not otherwise directed, immediately to his children - Benjamin Buttall, John Buttall, Humphrey Buttall, Charles Buttall, Mary wife of Nathaniel Hodges, Sarah wife of Thomas Wiggington and Elizabeth wife of Abraham Wells - to be divided equally amongst them.
Signed : Samuel Buttall 24 January 1718
Witnesses : Daniel Coleman, Thomas Sampson, John Conant.

Proved at London by the oath of Mary Buttall 12 November 1723.

Last edited by Shona; 18-11-13 at 18:01.
Old 18-11-13, 16:41
Administrator

Thanks very much for that, Shona.

What I really need to find is a will from after about 1745 naming Frances Dry junior (or a record of her birth / baptism). It seems that you can use PayPal on TNA site now, and I have a bit of a PayPal balance so I have downloaded a couple of wills from there - Dame Mary Hodges (nee Buttall) as mentioned already, and today George Hodges (one of Frances sr's brothers) who died in 1765, but his will just says he leaves everything to his wife Mary, and the father Sir Nathaniel Hodges who died in 1727, so too early to mention my Frances but it did mention another of Nathaniel and Mary's sons, Joseph Jory Hodges. Joseph was born 11 Mar 1702/3 and I've just found a mention of his death in Google Book Search, saying he was buried at Stepney with his ancestors on the 16th of October age 30, so that should be Oct 1733. Date of death 28 Sep, at Exeter. I wonder whether he left a will, though again, it would be too early to prove the link to my Frances Dry.

Edit - Josh Jorey Hodges Esqr of Exeter buried 16 Oct 1734 St Dunstan and All Saints, Stepney.

Old 18-11-13, 19:56
Administrator

Found in American Wills & Administrations on ancestry:

Hodges, Nathaniel, of Gravesend, Kent, who died in Providence Island, bachelor. Administration to the brother, George Hodges; the mother, Mary Hodges, having died. (July 1748)

I think this is the brother of William Dry's wife Frances as there are various court cases that come up on A2A mentioning Nathaniel Hodges, brewer, of Gravesend, in conjunction with Dame Mary Hodges. So he didn't leave a will *sigh*

Old 19-11-13, 09:46

Samuel Buttall's will appears in the American Wills Proved in London collection on Ancestry. His widow's will also appears in that section. It is before 1745, but she does name a lot of the family (she has also forgotten what two of them are called!).

Mary Buttall of Exeter, Devon, widow, dated 23 March 1730.

Bequests to:

- my grandchildren, Joseph, Jory, Nathaniel, Mary, Valentine and Frances Hodges, children of my daughter, Dame Mary Hodges, widow;
-my grandchildren, George, Samuel, Benjamin, Humphrey, Mary, Sarah and Elizabeth Wiggington, children of my daughter, Sarah Wiggington;
- my grandchildren, Mary and John Wells and their brother, whose name I have forgotten, children of my daughter, Mary Wells;
- my grandchildren Mary, Sarah, Samuel and their brother, whose name I have forgotten, children of my son, Humphrey Buttall;
- my granddaughter, Mary, daughter of my son Charles Buttall;
- my sons-in-law, Thomas Wiggington and Abraham Wells;
- my estate near New London, Edistow River, Carolina, to go to Dame Mary Hodges, in trust for my son, Charles Buttall;

My sons Benjamin and Humphrey Buttall.

Pr 10 February 1731 by Mary Hodges.
Old 19-11-13, 09:51
Administrator

That's interesting, Shona. Thanks. I haven't come across a Valentine but Joseph Jory was one person, and there should be an Ann(e) and a George, so it looks as though she had forgotten the names of some of the Hodges grandchildren too!

I have just been reading the following on Google Books, which would explain why I have had trouble finding baptisms:
From "A History of the English Baptists" by Joseph Ivimey

CHURCH AT LORIMER'S-HALL
THIS meeting-house is thus described by Maitland, in his history of London: - "A small, but convenient hall, at London Wall."...This church was without a pastor in April 1704... It is supposed that the Rev. Nathaniel Hodges became the pastor of this church soon after 1704, and continued so till Mr. Ebenezer Wilson left Artillery-lane in 1708...
Mr. Hodges had been educated with a view to the ministry at a Dissenting academy at Taunton. From thence in 1698, when twenty-three years of age, he accepted an invitation to settle as pastor with the church at Plymouth, where he resided three years. His name is signed to a manuscript letter ... sent by the Western Association assembled at Taunton, June 17, 1701. In the following January, having (as the Plymouth records state it) "succeeded to earthly honours, he left the church, and settled in London." It is likely he succeeded to some property, as he was, it is evident, of a rich family. He appears to have joined the church in Petty France under Mr. William Collins, and it is probable some of his relations were members of that church. The last entry in the handwriting of that excellent pastor records, June 7, 1702, that "brother Hodges was taken into the church."
Mr. Hodges has been already introduced to the reader as employed to present an Address to King George I, in 1715. A Tory newspaper writer, on that occasion, intimated that he had been brought up to a trade. "Cardinal Wolsey was of as mean extraction as these; and the principal of them, Mr. Hodges, was of a trade that ought not to be thrown in his teeth, considering that it first afforded us that excellent astrologer, John Partridge, and has since given them so good a divine in the person of Mr. Hodges; to which holy science, that humble occupation has a more immediate tendency of its own nature, because it trains a man up regularly to the curing of soles."

Crosby says, "His uncle, a gentleman of a great estate, did not approve of his inclination to the study of divinity; and finding he could not be diverted therefrom, nor persuaded to join in the ministry of the established church, where he could have promoted him to some dignity, made him afterwards, as long as he lived, feel the smart of his resentment for his close adherence to what he believed to be truth. Upon the death of his uncle*, when he became by inheritance possessed of a large estate, he laid down his ministry, and had the honour of knighthood conferred upon him by his Majesty George I. He died August 27, 1727, in the fifty-second year of his age, and lies buried in Stepney church-yard, where a fine monument is erected by his lady to his memory."

I find the name of this minister signed to a letter sent to Mr Peart, of Bromsgrove, in Worcestershire, dated London, Sept 10, 1717, in connection with those of Dr John Gale, Messrs Joseph Burroughs, and Benjamin Stinton. The subject of this was whether the Greek preposition in Matt. iii 16, which our translators had rendered out of the water, was rightly translated. It is evident from this letter that Mr. Hodges was considered among his brethren as a person of respectable learning and good abilities.
Mr. Hodges was one of the non-subscribers at the synod at Salters'-hall in 1719, which is all the further information we have respecting his ministerial character. It is probable he laid down his ministry soon after that period, though it is not said at what time he received the honour of knighthood. Thus it appears that his "earthly honours" eventually proved destructive to him, at least to his character as a minister. So true is it, that it is hard for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God. It is a very affecting thing that he who, when young, chose rather to suffer his rich uncle's displeasure than to violate his conscience and abandon his principles, should, after he was forty years of age, be carried away with the deceitfulness of riches, and the lust of other things, and thus become unfruitful. It is not said what became of the "large estate," at his death, except that a part of it was expended in erecting a fine monument over his renowned dust! We have never heard that he left any part of his money to the poor of Christ's flock, or to any charitable institution.
Thus terminated the "earthly honours" of Sir Nathaniel Hodges; the only Baptist minister of whom we have heard that he received the honour of knighthood; the only Baptist minister who laid down his ministry on account of his being elevated to the rank of a knight, and, like Demas, deserted his friends, having loved this present world. Such instances are indeed rare; but they are deeply affecting, and should teach all ministers, especially if they are rich, or expect to possess riches, earnestly to pray that they may be preserved from the love of money, the root of all evil. The following is the inscription upon what Crosby calls the "fine monument." By comparing it with those on the tombs of his contemporaries, Joseph Stennett, Edward Wallin, and others, the reader may be able to judge who possessed the greatest honour. Under the coat of arms is this inscription:-
SR NATHL HODGES, KNT.
OF BETHNALL GREEN.
OBT. THE 27TH OF AUGUST, 1727
AETATIS 52.

* Probably Sir William Hodges, an eminent Spanish merchant, and returned a Member of Parliament for St Michael's Mount, Cornwall, in 1705 and 1708. He died July 31, 1714, and was buried in the church of St Catharine, Coleman-street, London.

He is right about Nathaniel Hodges' will - there is no mention of God or any church in it at all apart from "In the Name of God Amen" at the very beginning. His widow has the standard stuff in hers about thanking God for her clarity of mind and commending her soul to God, but he doesn't even say that, and no, he didn't leave any legacy to a church or charity, all of it is to his wife and children.

Tags
tt5g49