Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Members' Direct Ancestors > Take One 4xGreat-Grandparent

Old 14-10-11, 15:09

Default William Thomas LONSDALE

Name - "official" name and what they were known as
William Thomas Lonsdale
Date and place of birth
About 1793 not in Kent
Names of parents
Not known
Date and place of baptism - if applicable
Not known
Details of each of his or her marriages - if any
Married Mary Smith, no marriage details found. First child I know about was born Maidstone, Kent before Sept 1817. Mary Smith was from Maidstone so the marriage most likely took place in that area.
Occupation(s) - if any
Waiter
Addresses where they lived (including county if in UK) - and please list which censuses you have or haven't found him/her on (if s/he lived in census times!).
1841 - Market Place, Maidstone, Kent
Date, place and cause of death
Before 23 Jan 1842 - haven't sent for death cert yet
Date and place of burial.
23 Jan 1842 Maidstone, Kent
Details of will / administration of their estate - if applicable
Memorial inscription - if any
Not known

(It looks like I missed adding his son John Henry Lonsdale (born Maidstone 1825) to TOGG3)

Last edited by Lindsay; 14-10-11 at 15:42. Reason: Extra info
Old 15-10-11, 18:49
Administrator

There's a marriage on FamilySearch between William Lonsdale and Mary Smith 1 Dec 1812 at St Anne Soho, Westminster.

There is a baptism, again on FamilySearch, of William Thomas Londsdale, son of William and Mary, 26 Nov 1815, at Maidstone, and also one for Ann(or Anne) Smith Landsdale, daughter of William and Mary, 19 Dec 1813 at Farningham, Kent. Given Mary's maiden name, this could be the same family and would fit with the 1812 marriage.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 15-10-11, 18:59
Administrator

Anne Smith Lonsdale married Charles William Burr 1 Mar 1836 at East Barming in Kent and they had some children in Tasmania, Australia - Maria born 6 May 1846, Elizabeth 23 Oct 1853 and Jane Ann 10 Jul 1855. Those are on FamilySearch. Her maiden name is given as Lonsdale on all those baptisms, so it looks likely she belongs to the same family, don't you think? I was hoping to find her death in the Australian deaths on ancestry to see whether her mother's maiden name was Smith, but I can't see her.

Old 15-10-11, 20:22

Thank you! I'll have a look at that info.
Old 15-10-11, 21:44
Administrator

Possible baptism for William - William Lonsdale baptised 9 Dec 1792 St Marylebone, parents Mark and Ann. Your William had a son called Thomas Mark, didn't he, so it could be the right one.

Old 16-10-11, 19:16

Thank you, Kiterunner, that looks really good! I've had a lovely day digging through the records.

Found Mark's marriage to Ann, and a second marriage to Kitty Martin 4 years later(which explains why William gave one of his sons the middle name of Martin).

Now I need to find out why William gave one of his daughters the middle name Browne which so far hasn't appeared anywhere on either side...
Old 05-03-12, 20:26

Hello Lindsay
Interested in your research of William Lonsdale & his children - have applied for his death certificate from GRO. Trying to discover more about Mark & Ann. Several family groups here in Australia busy trying to understand more about this family. Believe I am a descendant of William Thomas Lonsdale.
It seems that William might have had a son Thomas William with second wife Kitty ?
Old 06-03-12, 17:49

Hello Lonsdad, welcome to GF.

William Thomas Lonsdale is my husband's 4xg-grandfather, on the side of the family that stayed in the UK.

As far as I can make out, William Thomas Lonsdale, born Westminster 9 Dec 1792, was the only child of Mark Lonsdale and Ann Wood. Ann must have died between 1792 and 1796 (though I haven't found a burial yet) as Mark married Kitty Martin in 1796. They moved to Kent soon after, to Rochester, then Strood.

If you'd like to send me a PM (click on my name on the LH side of one one my posts and select 'send a private message') perhaps we can compare notes - happy to share the info I have!
Old 08-10-13, 22:11

Default Lonsdale

Am very interested in Lindsay's comment about one of William Thomas Lonsdale's daughter having a middle name of Brown(e). I have a Frances Brown Lonsdale in my tree. She was born on March 14 1821 in Maidstone and married a John Gunner in Maidstone on 12 April 1847. She died on February 22 1848 in St Pancras. I am particularly keen to understand why the Brown name was included and to determine whether the couple had any children (none identified). John Gunner was also a waiter. He went on to have children by his second wife (Gracenia Reed). Happy to elaborate.
Old 09-10-13, 12:42

Hallo Jimwgg, welcome to GF.

I'm afraid I haven't got any further with tracing the Brown connection. If it's anything like one of my other branches it could be several generations back, and so far I only have Frances' grandparents, none of whom was a Brown.

I do find it odd how often this family hopped from London to Kent and back over the generations.

Tags
to4g11