Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Members' Direct Ancestors > Take One 4xGreat-Grandparent

Old 16-12-11, 07:25

Default Betty Hawkyard (OH's MFFMMM)

OH's mother's father's father's mother's mother's mother

I hope I have the correct woman!
Link to her daughter Mary Andrew:
http://www.genealogistsforum.co.uk/f...ht=Mary+Andrew

Name - "official" name and what they were known as
Betty Hawkyard

Date and place of birth

Names of parents

Date and place of baptism - if applicable

Details of her marriage
Name: Betty Hawkyard
Marriage Date: 9 Aug 1787
Parish: Saddleworth, St Chad
Parish as it Appears: Saddleworth
Spouse's Name: William Andrew
Reference Number: O9/1/3/3
Item Number: 5
Archive Roll: 907

Occupation(s) - if any

Addresses where they lived (including county if in UK) - and please list which censuses you have or haven't found him/her on (if s/he lived in census times!)

Date, place and cause of death

Date and place of burial

Details of will / administration of their estate - if applicable

Memorial inscription - if any

This is all I have so far. I haven't researched her apart from her marriage.

Last edited by ElizabethHerts; 16-05-15 at 07:44.
Old 16-12-11, 08:41
tenterfieldjulie

One of the places I hope to visit next June Elizabeth .. let me know if I can help with research .
Old 16-12-11, 08:45

Thanks, Julie. You will have quite a large itinerary, I think!

Do you have ancestors from the area? This is OH's family and I'm stuck at around 1780. It's not helped by the fact that the area seems to span three counties - Yorkshire, Lancashire and Cheshire.
Old 16-12-11, 08:57
tenterfieldjulie

Yes my Pogsons/Pugsons Elizabeth. Alice (according to 1851 Census) born Slaithwaite. There is a possible 1787 baptim at Almondbury (5 miles away). Alice's 2nd marriage is to Samuel Woodhead in 1821 at Saddleworth. They move to Oldham in Lancs and their daughter Betty marries another Pogson. This family then come to Australia where their daughter Emma Pogson marries my greatgrandfather Charles Sloman from Somerset. Their descendants in Australia were a very gentle family and I would love to know more about them. Sadly their direct line has died out here.
Old 16-12-11, 09:01

I can't wait for your trip, Julie, and to meet you at last.
Old 16-12-11, 09:05
tenterfieldjulie

Oh thanks Elizabeth, I am really looking forward to meeting you too. I'll email you details. I hope to be in your area either before after the Chelsea flower show in late May ... I am so excited but have so much planning to do. The problem is that although I'm coming for two months, I think I probably need three, now thats a thought lol
Old 18-12-11, 15:07
Administrator

Did you ever get a copy of that William Andrew will from 1813, Elizabeth? And if so, was it any help?

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 18-12-11, 15:20

Kite, it was an admon and the only person named was his wife Ann Andrew:

"THE Condition of this Obligation is such, that if the above bounden Ann Andrew, Widow, Relict and ADMINISTRATRIX of all and singular the goods, chattels, and credits of William Andrew late of Uppermill in Saddleworth in the County of York and Diocese of Chester, Weaver, ...."

I don't know if it is the correct man - following is an extract from the will of William Newton who married Mary Andrew, the daughter of William Andrew and his wife:

I give devise and bequeath unto my son in law John Haigh of Heyrod in the County of Lancaster Innkeeper my son Joseph Newton of Millbrook in Stayley in the County of Chester Butcher and Neddy Shelmerdine of Vale Cottages Roughtown within Saddleworth in the County of York Shopkeeper all my share estate and interest of and in all those chief or ground rents arising and payable from land and buildings situate at or near Roughtown and Andrew Mill aforesaid belonging to my late father in law William Andrew or which may hereafter arise or become payable to me from the said property late belonging to the said William Andrew and all other my share estate and interest of and in the property late belonging to my father in law William Andrew situate at or near Roughtown and Andrew Mill aforesaid and also all that mortgage debt or sum of three hundred pounds lent by me on security of the said property of the said William Andrew at Roughtown and Andrew Mill aforesaid... "

I am assuming (perhaps incorrectly) that William Andrew left the property to William Newton or Mary Newton (maiden name Andrew). If so, there must be another will somewhere.
Old 18-12-11, 15:21

I should add that the surnames Andrew and Newton are very prolific in this part of the world.
Old 18-12-11, 15:24
Administrator

I suppose it doesn't actually say that William Andrew left it to them in a will, so it could be that he didn't leave one but if so then there should be an admon. It's a shame that William Newton doesn't mention what William Andrew's occupation was, or when he died.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update

Tags
to4g20