Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Family History General Discussion

Old 23-10-15, 18:44

Here is another pic of Sophia Delaval.

Old 23-10-15, 18:49
Administrator

I wonder whether Alan Hyde Gardner and Maria Elizabeth had any children who died young. They married in 1796 and Maria's child by Henry Jadis was born in December 1802. I would have thought there would be a few children before that, but haven't managed to find any so far.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 23-10-15, 19:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiterunner View Post
I wonder whether Alan Hyde Gardner and Maria Elizabeth had any children who died young. They married in 1796 and Maria's child by Henry Jadis was born in December 1802. I would have thought there would be a few children before that, but haven't managed to find any so far.
Maybe he was away at sea a lot!

On the tree that was given to Frances' brother (by their grandfather?) Maria was shown as Lady Gardner but on the divorce papers I am sure she was just Mrs Gardner. I don't think her former husband inherited the title until after the divorce did he? If that was the case she never had the title "Lady".
Old 23-10-15, 19:22

I get my "Lady"s mixed up, but could she have inherited the title "Lady" from her mother? (She wouldn't be Lady Gardner though).

OC
Old 24-10-15, 09:07

I got mixed up too OC -

Thanks Kite for the insight into the article - if it was my tree I would be a bit more thorough so to speak with facts rather than assumptions.
Old 24-10-15, 10:00

No, I meant that you can be a lady by birthright or by marriage and if her mother was a Lady, did Sophia inherit that title?

OC
Old 24-10-15, 11:24
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olde Crone View Post
No, I meant that you can be a lady by birthright or by marriage and if her mother was a Lady, did Sophia inherit that title?
You mean Maria Elizabeth, don't you, OC?

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 24-10-15, 13:24

Grr, yes I do! Confusion reigns!

OC
Old 24-10-15, 16:19

They are a tangled lot, these titled families!

Anyway, Maria Elizabeth Adderley was the daughter of Thomas Adderley and Margaret Bourke, who were both Irish.

Thomas Adderley, a politician from Co Cork, was big in the development of the linen industry. His marriage to Margaret (poss from Co Mayo) was his second. The first was to the widow of the third Viscount Charlemont.

Thomas Adderley died in 1791. In 1792, his widow – Maria’s mum – Margaret Adderley, nee Bourke, married Robert Hobart.

At this stage, Hobartt didn’t have a title, as far as I can see. However, he went on to become Baron Hobart and afterwards, the 4th Earl of Buckingham. Hobart lived mainly in Ireland. They had a daughter, Sarah Louisa Albina Hobart. More of her later.

In 1793, Hobart was appointed as the Governor of Madras. This explains why Maria Elizabeth Adderley married Alan Hyde Gardner in St Mary’s Church at Fort St George in Madras. In the episode, they said Maria was 15 or 16 at the time. If Alan Hyde Gardner’s naval duties took him away, it may explain why there are no children born early in the marriage. I also wonder about her age. I appreciate that in India, it was common for very young women to marry, but the Hobart family weren't born and brought up in India. Was Maria much younger than Hyde Gardner?

Anyway, Maria’s stepfather, Robert Hobart, and her mother, Margaret, lost a son while they were at Fort St George in India. John was born in India on 25 November 1795:

http://search.findmypast.co.uk/recor...hlights=%22%22

‘14 March 1796, John, infant son of Right Hon, Lord Hobart.’

Maria Adderley (I wonder why she didn’t use the name Hobart following her mother’s marriage to Robert?) married Alan Hyde Garner a couple of weeks later on 30 March 1796.

Later the same year, Maria’s mother, Margaret ('Margaretta, Baroness Hobart') died in Fort St George in Madras (August 1796).
http://search.findmypast.co.uk/recor...hlights=%22%22

Robert Hobart returned to Britain in 1798 and was given the title Baron Hobart.
In 1799, Robert married the Hon Eleanor Agnes, daughter of William Eden, 1st Baron Auckland. They had no children.

Robert became the 4th Earl of Buckingham in 1804.

Robert and Margaret Hobart’s daughter, Lady Sarah, married Frederick John Robinson – a politician. In August 1814, he married the ‘plain but rich heiress’, Lady Sarah Abina Louisa Hobart, daughter of the 4th Earl Buckingham. She came into her inheritance in 1816 following her father’s death. Robinson served as President of the Board of Trade and Chancellor. He became Viscount Goderich in 1827. He became Prime Minister later that year, but resigned in early 1828. He became the Earl of Ripon in 1833.

Maria referred to herself as Lady Gardner, but her husband didn't have a title when they were married. Did she perhaps call herself Lady because her stepfather was titled? I don't think her father, Thomas Adderley, had a title.
Old 24-10-15, 16:21

A snippet on the Gardner family...

William Linnaeus Gardner was the eldest son of Major Valentine Gardner (born 1739 in Ireland). His father was the elder brother of Alan Gardner, 1st Baron Gardner. William converted to Islam to marry Manzil un-nisa Nawab Mah, Dehlavi, a wealthy Princess. They had two sons, Valentine Gardner and another Alan Gardner.