Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 28-07-10, 06:02

Default A complete mess or mystery?

Can anyone solve this headache for me please?. Hubby has been attempting to do his tree, with my help, but his family are the ancestors from hell and his tree is fast becoming a major work of frustrating proportions.

He has a Joyce Moult, 1927 - 2003 b Bramcote, fact ( i know this as we went to her funeral), and he is tracing her line back.
her fathers line is ok, its her maternal line which is the stinger.
her mother is Ellen Yeomans 1885 - 1970 b Smalley Derbyshire (d bramcote) who married Frederick Moult 1875 - 1942 b Stapleford Notts.
Now from somehwhere hubby had found Ellens parents listed as Joseph Yeomans 1851 and Grace caustwell 1862. i think this was gleamed from another member tree and i told hubby to take these names off until proven...
so he set about looking for Grace caustwell, with no luck, so i took over and no results for me either..
Ellen has 11 siblings, the first is Cecil moult yeomans, which starts to confuse matters, then we recieved a message from another Ancestry member which has no completely stumped me, Hubby had asked her if she had a marriage cert for Joseph yeomans and grace caustwell. :

jennymoult
Yesterday 10:06 PM GMT
I haven't a marriage cert' and haven't done too much work on this 'union'. i do know that some names (including forenames) were changed throughout their lives and it can be quite frustrating. For example, i only managed to trace my grandfather (cecil moult) via the records as Cecil Moult Yeomans. This inconsistency in names can, of course, be put down to illigitamacy - as in my grandfather's case. However, i think i read something about the prevalance of name changes due to the spread of the jewish faith in the UK around this time and (if this is correct) then this could be the case re. joseph / isaac. I'll try to explain how i arrived at the conclusion re. my tree (but i am open to correction!) - I have the marr cert of sarah yeomans and frederick moult in 1901 - that states that Isaac Yeomans was sarah's father & he was a labourer.

I also have Ellen yeoman's bith cert (reg 1886, but born in dec 1885) which states that her father was Isaac and her mother was Grace yeomans formerly Caustwell. It states that Isaac was a farmer and they lived in Horsley, Denby, Derbys.

I also have an 1880 birth cert for a Sarah Yeomans - Joseph yeomans and grace yeomans (formerly yeomans) are the parents. At that time they lived in Shottle, and joseph was a farmer. A minimum of three choices here, i guess. 1/ the registrar got it wrong, 2/ she was hiding her real name of caustwell 'cause she was underage / had something to hide or 3/ she was his sister - a sister grace is recorded in one of the early census records if i remember correctly!!!!!!!

can anyone shed any light?
Old 28-07-10, 07:01

Have you been through the censuses systematically, Jennifer?

So far, after a quick look, it seems as though the Isaac Yeomans I found in 1901 with Grace, Sarah and Ellen could well be the same one as Joseph I found in 1881 with just Grace and Sarah. BOth men stated to be born 1851/1852.
Old 28-07-10, 07:02

He is still Isaac in 1911 with Grace and younger children.
Old 28-07-10, 07:03

Hi Elizabeth, i did try to work through them systematically but it doesn't seem to make sense. will try again though, as you say, isaac and Joseph may be the same person?
Old 28-07-10, 07:04

He is Isaac in 1891. FMP has mistranscribed them as GEOMANS.
Old 28-07-10, 07:06

Lord, i hadn't seen that!
Old 28-07-10, 07:07

Jennifer, we are off out to visit my daughter shortly so I haven't time to list them all with the census entries at present.

FreeBMD has Isaac Yeomans marrying Grace Yeomans in Dec 1879 Belper. I think one census entry went wrong.
Old 28-07-10, 07:10

Grace in 1871?
RG number: RG10 Piece: 3595 Folio: 29 Page: 3
Old 28-07-10, 07:11

yes i had seen that too..

thanks for your help Elizabeth,
Old 28-07-10, 07:12

Joseph 1851
RG number: RG10 Piece: 3595 Folio: 61 Page: 12