Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 02-01-13, 10:31

Default WW2 service records

Just checking that it is hard, or impossible, to get records for WW2.

I'm hopefully making a new contact, if she replies to my email. I found her details on a website wanting more info on her father's service in Europe. He was in the Australia air force and died in PNG. Somewhere it says he served in Europe and she wants more info. Can it be obtained?
Old 02-01-13, 10:33
Administrator

Have you tried on here, Kit?

http://www.naa.gov.au/collection/exp...ords/raaf.aspx

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 02-01-13, 10:40

The Australian National Archives hold service records. Not sure how easy it is to get hold of them. In the UK, for WW2 service records, people need to contact Veterans UK. However, they do not release records to the public, only Next of kin or close family.
Old 02-01-13, 11:18

I have his australian records, I suspect the lady has applied for them, hence why they are online. She wants more info thats all.
Old 02-01-13, 11:33

If she has his records and service number, you should be able to find out where his squadron was based and what actions they were part of. There are a number of WW2 forums around - not sure how good they are - but you could try a request for specific info.
Old 04-01-13, 08:57

Thanks Shona.

I'm very excited. The lady I emailed has passed my details onto her sister. She has emailed twice now and this is lady is descended from my 2g grandfather's brother. They were the only 2 from their family to come to Australia. My 2g grandfather died just before P was born but her aunt is still alive and should remember him as the aunt's father was the informant when my 2g grandfather died. Hope that makes sense.
Old 10-01-13, 07:26

Hi guys:
For British records - MoD will release most service records to anyone however (and it's a 'big' however) it will not be all of the details unless you have next of kins permission in writing or you are the next of kin and can prove it.

The addresses you want are, as Kiterunner says, on the veterans UK website and application forms are there also.
Typically it takes around 3-6 months minimum for a response and there's a £30 fee, they will need at the very least the full name and date of birth, although they prefer the service number also.
Old 10-01-13, 07:33
Administrator

Thanks for the info, Tim. But would the MoD actually hold any service records in this case? For someone who was in the Australian Air Force?

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 11-01-13, 14:39

No, and anyway Kit says she already has his Australian service record. There won't be any information available from the MoD unless he transferred to the RAF, which it doesn't sound as though he did.

There may be a bit more information available on the Australian War Memorial site:

http://www.awm.gov.au/

and it's always worth checking here, although all the information should already be in his service record:

http://www.ww2roll.gov.au/

Last edited by Mary from Italy; 11-01-13 at 14:49.
Old 11-01-13, 14:46

Ancestry now has a WW2 British PoWs database which does include Australians, but I've checked my father's record there (he was also in the RAAF), and it only gives the name of the first camp where he was held - no more information, and no image.

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/search/db.aspx?dbid=1601

Last edited by Mary from Italy; 11-01-13 at 22:32.