Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Members' Direct Ancestors > Take One 3xGreat-Grandparent

Old 01-04-11, 10:36

Default Adams Edwards

One of my favourite ancestors!

Adams Edwards bp 4 Dec 1791 at East Portlemouth, son of John Edwards & Petronel Adams.

Joined the navy & was probably only prevented from being at Trafalgar by the heavy engagements his ship had previously been involved in meant she had been back to Plymouth for repairs.

Involved in the capture of the Niemen http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Action_of_6_April_1809 under his captain Michael Seymour, later an admiral (which probably accounts for the story I heard of Adams himself being an admiral!)

Married Susan Helmer at Charleton who had children baptised in various local villages before the family moved to Plymouth, where Susan died when the youngest, Adams was still a baby.

Married Jane Jago Phelps at Plymouth and had several more children.

Joined the Coastguard service in 1835 and was posted to Lydd in Sussex.

On every subsequent posting moved a little closer to home.

Finally settled in Rame, Cornwall where he died in 1862.

His will left under £100 to his widow and they are both remembered on gravestones in the local churchyard.

Last edited by Phoenix; 01-04-11 at 10:42.
Old 01-04-11, 18:37

Another account of the capture of the Niemen: http://www.pbenyon.plus.com/Naval_Hi...l_V/P_157.html

I did worry that Adams was with prisoners, rather than taking part in the action, but he got a medal for the events of the day, so assume he was involved.
Old 23-07-14, 20:16

Wildest dreams have been realised and today I saw the church where Adams was baptised.

It involved a 2 hour boat ride, a ferry, a climb up 138 steps before the path got really steep, but the view from the top was stunning and I got to see his mother's gravestone: visible centre stage as you go through the gate into the churchyard

Also, I googled High House where he was born. They have discovered early C19th ship paintings on the walls. Could that be Adams' work???

Tags
to3g21