Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 28-04-19, 06:43
Administrator

Default Frances Mary Paton HARRIS

Here is another one to have some fun with!

Frances Mary Paton HARRIS married Rev Cyril Patrick HANKEY on the 21st April 1925 St George Bloomsbury. Her father was Frank HARRIS author.
1939 she was born 2 September 1898.

Assuming I have the correct Frank HARRIS, he was a rather colourful character, with a number of wives, muses and random children.
https://spartacus-educational.com/FWWharrisF.htm

1898 he was in St Cloud France living with actress May CONGDON, although there seem to have been other women around at the same time. There is a report that he had a daughter with her.

1911 May CONGDON actress b c1872 at sea, is with her actress sister Mabel ADAIR b c1875 Capetown, in Kensington.
Also in Kensington in 1911 is Frances PATON b c1899 St Cloud France who is a ward of Rosamond FAWCETT b c1863 Dublin. Is this Frances Mary Paton HARRIS??
She is possibly also in Bocking Essex in 1901 as Frances May PATON b c1899 France, lodger with Selina SUTTON monthly nurse, b c1845 Bocking Essex

Can anyone find if May CONGDON is the mother of Frances PATON? I am assuming that CONGDON is a stage name, given that her sister has a different surname.

I cannot find a death for May so if anyone can find that the probate might be useful, but I have the probate for Frank HARRIS which was to wife 3 so not helpful, and the probate for wife 2 who died in 1927, she is not the mother as she left him in 1894.

When we have passed a certain age, the soul of the child we were
and the souls of the dead from whom we have sprung come to lavish on us their riches and their spells
(Marcel Proust)

Christine
Old 28-04-19, 10:17
Administrator

I have been looking, but not found much. There are a few Trove entries for actress May Congdon stating she had started her acting career in London, but I've not read them to see if there's anything about her background or death etc.

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 28-04-19, 10:29
Administrator

Another useless snippet - Frances Mary Hankey died in the hospital where I was born!

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 28-04-19, 10:44
Administrator

I thought we had Frank Harris's autobiography in our house, but if so, I can't find it, and my OH is out at the moment so I can't ask him where it is. But in any case, I seem to remember him saying it was a work of fiction, so probably wouldn't be much use.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 28-04-19, 10:55
Administrator

Use this link to access the Saint-Cloud birth records for 1898:
http://consultation.archives.hauts-d...aissances#truc
Click on the image for 1898 and you should get a pop-up window. Go to image number 39 of 54 and there is the birth record for Harris, May Paton (it is continued on image 40). Now to try to decipher and translate it...

Old 28-04-19, 10:59
Administrator

I should add that it is one of those sites where you have to use the mouse scroll wheel to enlarge the image. Those always confuse me!

Old 28-04-19, 11:01
Administrator

And yes, it says she was born 2 Sep 1898, the daughter of Frank Harris and May Congdon. Will leave proper deciphering and translation to someone else if needed!

Old 28-04-19, 12:11
Administrator

Well done Kate.

Old 28-04-19, 13:44

Yes, well done for finding it. I don't think there's anything particularly interesting in it apart from the date and parents' names, but I'll have a go at transcribing it.
Old 28-04-19, 14:06

This is the first page with the important parts; the second page is declarations by midwives etc. The dots and question marks indicate the parts I can't decipher. Translation to follow.

L’an mil huit cent quatre-vingt dix-huit le cinq septembre à dix heures du matin Devant nous Victor Boutillier, adjoint au Mairie de la Ville de Saint Cloud ... par délégation le fonction d’affaires de l’Etat-Civil, a comparé le sieur Alexandre Roger, cocher, âgé de trente-cinque ans, démeurant à Saint Cloud, avenue Magenta maison? sept, lequel nous a présenté un enfant du sexe féminin, née le deux septembre courant, à cinq heures du soir, fille de Franck Harris, journaliste, âgé de quarante-deux ans ..., démeurant à Saint Cloud, avenue Magenta maison? sept, e de May Congdon, son épouse, sans profession, âgée de vingt-cinq ans, ... auquel enfant il a donné les prénoms de May, Paten.

Last edited by Mary from Italy; 28-04-19 at 21:38.