Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 29-04-19, 08:13
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwackers View Post
Hi , found the birth of mary burrows in 1872 .in Ormskirk . It is possible that she married William hale who was born in aughton .
Possibly (assuming you mean 1782!), but the marriage in 1802 is a long time after the birth of your William, so I doubt they are the right couple for you. You need to be looking at those Catholic records for your William's baptism before you start guessing at the next generation.

Quote:
Sorry that should have been Mary Hale who is 77 , who is a Roman Catholic . Could this be Williams mother as you said ?
She could be, but you need to find William's baptism to know his parents names and if you find his baptism, also record any siblings in order to establish the most likely marriage for his parents (I would suggest you make a list of all the Hale records you come across at St Anne's and make a note of what dates you covered).

If Mary who died in 1840 does turn out to be your William's mother, she isn't likely to be Mary Burrows born 1782 as her age at death would suggest a birth in the 1760s.

For the time being I would put the Hale to Burrows marriage on the back burner and see what info you can pick up in the Catholic registers. If it turns out William's baptism isn't there you will have to think again, but you need to
work your way through those records first.

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 29-04-19, 20:47

Thanks .
Old 01-09-19, 07:34

Hi , Merry , I'm sorry I still haven't been able to get to the records office to look on the microfiche . But I did manage to find a marriage , between a Mary Wilson and and William Hale on the 1/Aug /1784 . At st Michaels in Aughton , I know it's a shot in the dark whilst I am looking for William Hales mother the other problem is st Michaels is a Anglican Church . The church is approx 3 miles from Ormskirk . And there seems to be a few families of Hales in that area . There is a Samuels marriage but it is in the 1850 s which is earlier than we wanted . Anyway you can give me your thoughts on that . Thanks
Old 01-09-19, 07:38

Lancashire records office told me that they don't have the original records , so I am wondering were they are actually held .? They could be held in Kew , like a lot of records , I don't know where they were stored etc when they were removed from the church ? Have you any ideas ? Thanks
Old 01-09-19, 07:46
Administrator

Quote:
Hi , Merry , I'm sorry I still haven't been able to get to the records office to look on the microfiche . But I did manage to find a marriage , between a Mary Wilson and and William Hale on the 1/Aug /1784 . At st Michaels in Aughton , I know it's a shot in the dark whilst I am looking for William Hales mother the other problem is st Michaels is a Anglican Church . The church is approx 3 miles from Ormskirk . And there seems to be a few families of Hales in that area . There is a Samuels marriage but it is in the 1850 s which is earlier than we wanted . Anyway you can give me your thoughts on that . Thanks
With regard to the marriage at St Michael's Aughton - as I said in post #43, Catholic marriages were illegal from 1754 to 1837, so it's not a 'problem' to find marriages of Catholic people in an Anglican church. What is a problem is that you don't know who you are looking for!

I don't understand your comment about Samuels.

Quote:
Lancashire records office told me that they don't have the original records , so I am wondering were they are actually held .? They could be held in Kew , like a lot of records , I don't know where they were stored etc when they were removed from the church ? Have you any ideas ? Thanks
So Lancashire Record office say they no longer have these microfilm numbers?

Copies of Original Registers for St Anne, Ormskirk, Roman Catholic

Baptisms
1736-1836 held by Lancashire Record Office DDX 241/26 - Microfilm
1862-1941 held by Lancashire Record Office MF 9/127 - Microfilm

Marriages
1784-1845 held by Lancashire Record Office DDX 241/26 - Microfilm < some of these marriages may be illegal!
1866-1941 held by Lancashire Record Office MF 9/127 - Microfilm

Burials
1750-1792 held by Lancashire Record Office DDX 241/26 - Microfilm

If you didn't approach them with the film numbers before, I would ask again.

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 01-09-19, 08:33

Merry , You said in a earlier post that Mary Hale buried 1840 in Ormskirk , could be Williams mother , and that maybe Samual could be Williams brother . So that's why I was searching for those people . I didn't say that the record office didn't hold the microfiche . As they have the ones you have mentioned They don't have the original records , I was asking if you had any idea where they were kept . I did say I hadn't had the chance to go to Preston as it's out of the way for me . So I was trying another way to find the mother of William . As I can't go at present through also family illness .
Old 01-09-19, 08:36

Hi , Rang up the records office in Lancashire ,to see if I could get copies of death from prior 1837 and they have told me they haven't got the records to do the copies . So it looks like I can't go any further without going to the centre and search .
Old 01-09-19, 08:46

I am looking , for the birth of William Hale around 1895 , but if I can't him , I was searching for his parents . So I know who I am looking for . But as I Have said , if I can't get there to go through the films in Preston . I can't go any further .
Old 01-09-19, 08:52
Administrator

Sorry, I misread your comment about the records at Lancs RO.

I don't know where the original records are kept, but the chances are you wouldn't be allowed to look at them when there is microfilm available.

Your only other option would be to pay someone to do the research for you at Lancs RO.

Old 01-09-19, 08:54
Administrator

Quote:
Hi , Rang up the records office in Lancashire ,to see if I could get copies of death from prior 1837 and they have told me they haven't got the records to do the copies . So it looks like I can't go any further without going to the centre and search .
They would have burial records from before 1837, not certificates.